Black sand... Anyone enjoy the look?

MurseBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to find out if there is a down side to the black sand. I am planning on a mix of the thin kind and more clumpy kind (sorry my lingo is not up to par, I like to still claim that as me being new to this all). And I have noticed that I never see any pics out there with black sand, several grays but no black. Thanks guys

drainbamage

Extreme Whippersnapper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you'll see some black sand here and there- I think a lot of people prefer the more 'natural' look of the white/grey sand. Personally I've seen some tanks with black and think they look really nice, but I don't think I'd set up a main tank with black sand, maybe a small nano tank that's got a specific 'look' going (like a zoa garden with blue LEDs, everything would gllllooooooow in there)

if you mean you want to mix larger grade (as in larger pieces) with smaller grade ( 'finer' ) sand, a lot of people do. Just keep in mind over time, the larger grains will settle on top, so it may not look quite as mixed as you like.

SDguy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put black sand in my clarkii clown cube. Love it.

LLTooSweet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have black sand in my 220 display tank. I love it! A golden head goby keeps it clean and black. The only thing I don't like about it is that some if it is magnetic and if I come close to it with my mag scraper it gets picked up and scratch my tank. If I had to do it again... I would choose black sand over white. My 2 cents tho.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also have black sand and love it....they make the colors of corals on the sand bed really pop...

Cuong L

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have black sand in my frag tank. I enjoy it. Just be cautious on the type of black sand. There is one that omits ammonia.

Here is a pic with my banshee
BananaBanshee2.jpg

OP
OP
MurseBS

MurseBS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats amazing looking Cuong. My problem is that I live in central TX and the access to more of a variety of different saltwater life is limited. And I dont know if I trust ordering then shipping. Amazing pic though man.

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 40b with black sand I got caribsea tahitian moon reef & marine I have white in my 95g so wanted something different for this tank this is my softie tank & it really makes them stand out
even my 6 line wrasse looks more colorful over the black really love it

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost considered using black sand in my nano, but the sands I have come across do not provide any buffering benefits the way that aragonite sand will. For a large tank with a kalk reactor, it's probably not going to sway anyone. For my nano that I try to keep with low-maintenance, it steered me away from it.

Tabasco1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:) I guess I will be the lone voice. I am more partial to natural looking sand. I think if I had multiple set ups I might try a smaller one for a zoa garden as mentioned above, but wouldn't choose it for my one and only.

I think that alot of people are ordering stuff from the internet these days and it is for the MOST part all figured out and safe. I live in the mountains and the closest pet store that sells any sort of fish supplies or livestock is about 2 hrs from me. I will be pretty much completely reliant on the internet. I am not scared.

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the Bio-Activ brand its Not 100% black, its mixes with white grain but it looks black overall and Its natural.....only downside is the magnetite.

GenX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys do to keep the sand looking clean? I'm using Tahitian Moon sand and detritus is so noticeable...

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never had it but i think black sand really makes corals pop for sure. If kept clean it can look really sweet...i have been contemplating it when i upgrade. It's all personal preference...you should google "Black Sand Reef" and check out the different images out there!

ddiver

Fragging Extraordinaire
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys do to keep the sand looking clean? I'm using Tahitian Moon sand and detritus is so noticeable...

i use Microbacter7 and Reef BioFuel....combination of the 2 keeps it real clean.But i've done the full Probiotic system so i know how much to use for my tank.I wouldn't recommend it to a newb because you can definitely strip the water too fast and corals will not like it at all.....

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using black sand in my most recent display:

IMG_9627.jpg

IMG_9380.jpg

IMG_9377.jpg

Tank and pics are a bit rough, still developing but it gives you an idea of the look that will be achieved anyway.

Overall I like the look but several significant downsides you should be aware of:

-as noted, its hard to keep it black as detritus and live rock pieces are constantly falling onto it. Lots of upkeep, plan on spending an OCD night or two a month picking pieces off the sandbed.
-the stuff I have, Tahitian moon, could potentially be contaminated with metallic fragments. Several flecks of my sand stuck to my MP10 magnet :( . I am getting some weird algae growth on the sand only as well which makes me think something is not quite right with the composition.
-Whatever the sand is, its definitely harder than coral-based sand. If you have an acrylic or starfire tank, its going to hang over your head as long as you have it in there.

All that said, the look is IMO unique and almost worth the hassles.

Last edited:

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking pics Meisen. I had no clue there was an isue with metallic fragments...very interesting. I love the color contrast though!

meisen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great looking pics Meisen. I had no clue there was an isue with metallic fragments...very interesting. I love the color contrast though!

LOL you can imagine I was baffled too. Thanks, hoping to get the tank really worked out/grown in over the summer and hopefully it will pay off.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.1%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 61 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back