Black spots on clown fish

Jay'sReefBugs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely normal it's just the slime coat interaction with certain corals it doesn't harm nor bother the clown . Matter a fact I have a clown in my reef system that's covered in black dots because she refuses to leave the hammer / torch area lol

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds more logical and not coincidence- No doubt it helped but bottom line is that it healed and that is an accomplishment.
Yes sir, it sure was. I was so relieved to see the the flesh heal so quickly. I used AB+ on 3 other occasions when I had multiple tanks running and it worked in about a month, completely healing the missing flesh, each and every time. The results were almost immediate as I mentioned earlier, I started to see the missing flesh diminish in about a weeks time. It was incredible! This is why I was recommending the OP to give it a try:)

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the food that I feed with brine shrimp occasionally, and I think I know it is but I want to be sure is the AB+ okay to use with my starfish and shrimps? Just need to be sure I’m not gonna hurt anyone in the tank!

Good question, I'm not 100% sure if it's safe for starfish and shrimps.

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm, I don't see any HLLD or hole in the head.
Looks like a perfectly normal clown with black dots caused from coral.

I could be wrong but it looks like it does in this picture. Just a tad bit. It could be the black dots he mentioned. I can't tell for sure.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 5.15.51 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-01-20 at 5.15.51 AM.png
    508.7 KB · Views: 35

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I could be wrong but it looks like it does in this picture. Just a tad bit. It could be the black dots he mentioned. I can't tell for sure.
These dots are known as Hyper-melanization. It may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal and allowing the clown to become accustomed to the sting from host

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish pair have very similar markings around the head. I think it's just normal clowns.
I've had mine since 2015 when I set up the tank.

ScionFRSguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clownfish pair have very similar markings around the head. I think it's just normal clowns.
I've had mine since 2015 when I set up the tank.
For sure, as long as it's not getting any worst over time then they should be fine:)

These dots are known as Hyper-melanization. It may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal and allowing the clown to become accustomed to the sting from host

Gotcha, I guess it's really not much of a concern so long as it's not spreading throughout it's forehead. Good eye!

lelolai15

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Holland16

Hi, curious to see how your clown fish turned out. I have a pair of Ocellaris clown fish for 2 yrs. 11 months. Near the early stages of the fish tank one turned majority darker than the other (not sure what caused this). I thought it was stress driven as the other clownfish was more dominat and bullied this one.

Fast-forwarding to today, my larger clownfish is acting quit particular. Typically she tends to be at the surface but now is towards the bottom near the rock structure. She is also pushing the sand to make a divot. She also has been more aggressive to other fish that come near. With closer inspection, I noticed these same dots however, they are located on the underside of the gills. Similar to you, I feed Mysis shrimp daily and fish tends to be in good spirit.

I keep calling her a "She" since this clownfish is larger than the other one and due to the strange character change lately, drives me believe that she may lay eggs soon. Not sure if these dots may be associated with this?

Curious to hear how your fish turned out since it has been more than six month since your last post. I am including some pictures. Happy to hear from anyone on their thoughts here :). Thank you in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2397.jpg
    IMG_2397.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_2398.jpg
    IMG_2398.jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2399.jpg
    IMG_2399.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 25

Ted S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Known as hyper-melanization may have come from coral sting such as anemone or other coral such as hammer, torch or similar. Mine got stung by elegance coral. You dont need to treat with anything as it will self heal and allowing the clown to become accustomed to the sting from host
I was wondering on why my clownfish was displaying those marks. I have a hammer right next to a utter chaos in which my clown have grown attached with . He is probably swimming right into the hammer . Thanks for that info.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 55 30.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 47 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 36 20.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 21.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back