Black spots on Yasha goby

JWDV

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a week ago I noticed these black spots and got concerned. I took a picture to ask for advice here but then he disappeared. I figured he was a goner but today he popped back out from wherever he was hiding. He still has the new black marks but seems way less shy and skittish. Anyone have any thoughts?

black spots on goby.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
These may be hyper-melanization which gives a fish this appearance after being stung by an anemone or coral such euphyllia. Do you have either in the tank?
If so, provide good water quality and diet and will heal on it own and not a disease.
If not, other would be black ich , and not Ich, the disease. They would be turbellarian worms and likely the Paravortex version which are smaller and appear as grains of black spots
These worms have a single host life cycle producing several juveniles which can last up to 30 days but rarely do. Best is to treat with Praziquantel better known as prazi pro for two 8 day intervals with a water change on day 9.
other option is formalin based medication such as quick cure or ruby Rally Pro starting with a bath for 45 minutes followed by treatment
Do note that Prazi will lower both oxygen and appetite, so an airstone is recommended for added aeration and monitor water quality during treatment with a reliable test kit

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is an anemone that hides behind the same rock structure as this guy. Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks!

Since the fish has ben AWOL you probably haven't seen it do this, but if you see it do any scratching, it might have flukes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 28.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 40 27.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 51 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.5%
Back