Blastomussa Merleti

• Thread starter reef-nut
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I just odered a Blastomussa Merleti, 10+ polyps. Its color was a awesome red, I could not pass it up. I have never had one. What can anyone tell me about them, light, flow, feeding, etc. Was it a good investment or not? I guess I should have asked this stuff before I bought it. Pics, as soon as I get it!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Surely, someone knows something about these????? I bought it from TEC

Last edited by a moderator:

gastone

I dig chicks with rics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Merlettis are pretty adaptable to different conditions. Low to moderate lighting is fine and they don't like SPS flow. Nothing too distinct about them. I find them to be much hardier than wellsis.

As with most corals, start them low and gradually move them where you want them... they should be fine.

GL and take pics when they come in.

Garrett.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree with Garrett. (gastone)

What type of lighting do you have?

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very easy to take care of, like most brain corals. The red that TEC had is also a quite unusual color for a merletti. They are extremely adaptable to light. I've had some about 6 inches under a 150W MH bulb before with no issues, and also had them in SPS tanks, but not receiving direct flow. They're fairly slow growers like most LPS, but have a nice form to them.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I agree with Garrett. (gastone)

What type of lighting do you have?
I have a 90 gallon with 4-65 watt 50/50 pc's. All my ricordea and zoos are awesome. I just added 2 branching hammers with 10 branch on one and 15 branch on the other and the 2nd day they was in there they opened up fully and are awesome. I have never had any blasto before.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you could stand to keep this blasto up near middle to top.

Lytehouse

just havin' fun
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with Rev. Blasto will do fine in your tank anywhere from the middle up. Will grow very slowly, however in that lighting. For any growth will need to feed them individually often.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found mine like to be on the sandbed with T5 lighting, higher then that and they are not happy.

So in your 90, with PC's I would stick to the top 2/3's of the tank, experiment a little bit, they are very hardy corals.

278484570_PWeyU-M.jpg

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw the pics on TECs site of the red merletti you got. Very nice coral. Maybe when it gets bigger I'll have to get a few heads from you :) I'm glad someone I know got it. I contemplated it myself.

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I am sure it will. Mine went through a period where it did not look good at all, as a matter of fact, I sold most of it off to other reefers where it could be happy.

Since I moved, and put it on the sand, it has been MUCH happier. I think it has doubled in polyps over the last 3 months.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have not got it yet, but form the pics I have seen I am thinking it looks more like a wellsi than a merletti.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Yes thats it, but thats one just like it, mine looked a little bigger.

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Does everyone get excited as I do about getting a new coral. I can barely sleep!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
LOL! You know why your excited? Cause your a REEF NUT!! :D

OP
OP
R

reef-nut

View Badges
Just ask my wife, I drive her crazy. This is all I talk about. When she married me almost 10 years ago, she thought it was just a hobby that would probably pass. I told her before we got married that if she could not deal with my saltwater hobby there is the door, hit it.

Znut Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a huge colony on the bottom of my 550. It's under a 400 20K bulb, with lots of flow. I swaer the colony has tripled in size. Very hardy coral.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back