Bleached Live Rock

rlculver09

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
I was just wondering if I have killed my live rock forever. After my tang died I took some extra live rock that had sponges and were just dirty looking and soaked in bleach over night, then I took it out washed it really good and then took it to the car wash and washed it off with the hard water from there.I brought it home let it dry out for about a week, I bought a 20 gallen tank that I wanted to keep the rook in until it cured with no fish,just filter,heater,light,and power head, I bought the crushed coral put it all in the tank with rodi water and then added salt.I plan on getting some sand from my tanks to seed it with in a week or so.I also added a piece of cured rock to the tank.Is this going to work and how long will it take to get the rock cured?
Thanks,
RObin

DaveDunbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Robin
Your right you did kill like 99% of the rock with the bleach!! But you will be able to reseed it with sand from another tank!! You might want to do a few water changes first before you put any animals in there though.
I'd run a good skimmer on it also no light at first as might cause an algae bloom!! Just remember that the 'Dirty" on the rock is the good stuff!!
I take and blast my rock with a turkey baster once a week and that helps it look better
Hope this helps
Dave

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add extra bacteria to the tank like Brightwell bacter7. Just putting rock out in the sun and letting it bleach will do the same thing as bleach and it much safer then rinse off well and re-establish in tank slowly piece at a time. Essentially base rock you buy is dried sun bleached rock.

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a small piece of LR from an established system to reseed it.

JR's Reef

Joey08
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need is a small piece of LR from an established system to reseed it.

Yep. I killed all my LR with bleach and just setup my tank backup with it. I just used 2 smal pieces of LR to reseed it with now it good to go. Just started putting my corals back in it last week.

Railrider1920

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Everyone,
then took it to the car wash and washed it off with the hard water from there.I brought it home let it dry out for about a week,

I had thought about using the car wash pressure washer for something one time. Then I thought that there might be soap residue in the pressure washer. I didn't use it for that reason. If you think that there was any chance of there being some soap left on the rock, you might want to think about many water changes to try to get rid of any traces of the soap.
JMO

HAudioSolutions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why spend so much money on live rock only to turn around and kill it? A scrub brush and a seperate bucket of water would have "cleaned the rock" of any dead sponge etc. As mentioned, you'll need to seed the tank with live sand and or some live rock then let the cycle begin.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back