Blenny for algae and cleanup

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read Lawnmowers and Molly Millers are good for algae control and general cleanup. Is one better than the other? Want one for personality as well as utility. Any other blennies to consider? I have a Yellow Watchman Goby, shouldn't be a conflict there right?

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lawnmower is your best bet for Algae control. They're a work horse. Other Blenniidaes can be helpful but results seem to vary. Compatibility with other blenny/gobies can be iffy but not impossible if there is plenty of room. They usually stay in their space of the tank. Is your tank large enough for a Tang or Angel. A lot of the dwarf angels and other angels for that matter are great algae grazers as possibly another option. Not so LPS friendly though.

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have a 120g. I do have a yellow tang but strangely enough I have never seen him show any interest in algae. He loves the nori I put out but has no taste for algae. LPS is pretty much all I have so no angels for me. I've read that lawnmowers can be hard to keep alive due to collection methods and their limited diet thus my interest in a molly miller. I may have to try a lawnmower.

Highgrade

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I have a 120g. I do have a yellow tang but strangely enough I have never seen him show any interest in algae. He loves the nori I put out but has no taste for algae. LPS is pretty much all I have so no angels for me. I've read that lawnmowers can be hard to keep alive due to collection methods and their limited diet thus my interest in a molly miller. I may have to try a lawnmower.
Maybe try a combtooth tang?

OP
OP
Baldguy

Baldguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll stick with a blenny. Lawnmower it is unless there's another blenny that is sure to help with the algae.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There shouldn't be an issue with a goby.

Starry blennies are quite personable, good algae eaters, and pretty hardy.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back