OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rotifers feed on phytoplankton like copepods do (though Parvocalanus crassirostris needs T-Iso [Isochrysis galbana] phytoplankton specifically). Phyto will not feed the fish larvae; the two foods I've seen used to successfully feed/rear these larvae are Parvocalanus crassirostris nauplii and some unidentified ciliates (some ciliates may be nutritionally appropriate while others may not be, and ciliates may be quite difficult to come by).

Parvocalanus crassirostris really is your best bet for raising these guys at this point.
Hey, are you able to help…. Getting a few thru on rots and prepared foods. But less than 1% as you mentioned. Having a terrible time finding the specific cop strain in the UK so think I need to let that one go - but have found some ciliates. Couple of questions…
Can I culture the ciliates? If so how?
Can I place the fry in a cop culture vessel so they can pick up the nauplii from the water column? - if I monitor the water quality regularly?
im thinking could the tank sustain itself and I keep adding cop feed and blenny eggs? then remove the fry once large enough?
failing this I’ll buy cop eggs as suggested but same question really - can they be in the same vessel.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I culture the ciliates? If so how?
Yes - for how, this link has info (it's a bit wordy, but it's good):
Can I place the fry in a cop culture vessel so they can pick up the nauplii from the water column? - if I monitor the water quality regularly?
im thinking could the tank sustain itself and I keep adding cop feed and blenny eggs? then remove the fry once large enough?
failing this I’ll buy cop eggs as suggested but same question really - can they be in the same vessel.
In theory, yes (I've recently heard this referred to as co-culturing) - the catch is that the nauplii need to be small enough for the fry still. I'm not sure what the gape size is for this species, but most fish fry can only eat things that are less than or equal to ~20% of the gape size, so you'll probably want a relatively small copepod species to work with.

I haven't looked into co-culturing much at all yet, but - as I understand it - it has some pros and cons to it. It should still work either way (and may be beneficial, as it was in the link below):

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - for how, this link has info (it's a bit wordy, but it's good):

In theory, yes (I've recently heard this referred to as co-culturing) - the catch is that the nauplii need to be small enough for the fry still. I'm not sure what the gape size is for this species, but most fish fry can only eat things that are less than or equal to ~20% of the gape size, so you'll probably want a relatively small copepod species to work with.

I haven't looked into co-culturing much at all yet, but - as I understand it - it has some pros and cons to it. It should still work either way (and may be beneficial, as it was in the link below):
Ok paramecium culture brewing with grain and yeast and now co-culturing copepods, rotifiers and blenny fry. Fingered crossed :)

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this one for an opinion, is this blenny fry that have somehow managed to grow in the sump area of my tank? Or do you recognise them as some type of pod..?

Attachments

• IMG_7018.mov
    49.7 MB

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reviving this one for an opinion, is this blenny fry that have somehow managed to grow in the sump area of my tank? Or do you recognise them as some type of pod..?
Kind of looks like a mysid shrimp to me, but hopefully we'll get some more eyes on it for confirmation for you.

OP
OP
dbaulch83

dbaulch83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you’re right. Random swimming. Appear to have a breading ground of them!

Attachments

• IMG_7077.mov
    49.9 MB

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back