Blonde naso struggling.

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys can you take a look at this video. I have a blonde Naso that has been breathing heavy the last 4-5 days. 3 days ago he stopped eating and today I found him on his side before messing with him and he started being back active.

Timeline of events:

Brought home a week and a half ago with mimic and blue hippo tang. Did 3 rounds of metroplex and kanaplex. After the second round I added a watanbei to the tank and did the third dose. I know this complicated things but had to take the watanbei. This is all in my QT.

After I finished the 3 rounds I dipped the fish in the formalin side of safety stop. Water change and added the fish back. I added a dose of prazi as I noticed my hippo was struggling mightily and scratching the pvc pipes. My mimic started doing this a little too. I assumed gil flukes which is why I added the prazi.

Day 1 of the prazi and the naso stopped eating. All other fish have been fine and scratching has stopped. We are now on day 3 and he is still not eating. When I found him on his side I did a 80% water change and now no meds in the tank. What would you guys advise? The only thing I notice on him is that he does this little stuttering thing with his gills where it looks like the flutter for a few seconds before going back to heavy breathing. His mouth is always open and he prefers darkness as when I move a light near him he swims to dark side. He doesn’t move at all really now and stays in same spot. I don’t notice ich or velvet. I do see small white particles but don’t think it’s much.

I’m thinking about doing freshwater dip. I have copper power/ cupermine / Nitrofurazan / metro/ kana/ hydroplex/ the blue side of safety stop.

Can you give me a heads up quick what I should do?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Guys can you take a look at this video. I have a blonde Naso that has been breathing heavy the last 4-5 days. 3 days ago he stopped eating and today I found him on his side before messing with him and he started being back active.

Timeline of events:

Brought home a week and a half ago with mimic and blue hippo tang. Did 3 rounds of metroplex and kanaplex. After the second round I added a watanbei to the tank and did the third dose. I know this complicated things but had to take the watanbei. This is all in my QT.

After I finished the 3 rounds I dipped the fish in the formalin side of safety stop. Water change and added the fish back. I added a dose of prazi as I noticed my hippo was struggling mightily and scratching the pvc pipes. My mimic started doing this a little too. I assumed gil flukes which is why I added the prazi.

Day 1 of the prazi and the naso stopped eating. All other fish have been fine and scratching has stopped. We are now on day 3 and he is still not eating. When I found him on his side I did a 80% water change and now no meds in the tank. What would you guys advise? The only thing I notice on him is that he does this little stuttering thing with his gills where it looks like the flutter for a few seconds before going back to heavy breathing. His mouth is always open and he prefers darkness as when I move a light near him he swims to dark side. He doesn’t move at all really now and stays in same spot. I don’t notice ich or velvet. I do see small white particles but don’t think it’s much.

I’m thinking about doing freshwater dip. I have copper power/ cupermine / Nitrofurazan / metro/ kana/ hydroplex/ the blue side of safety stop.

Sorry to hear the trouble. I would have used the usual protocol - which is copper, then Prazipro. Breathing heavy could suggest velvet or flukes. When Using Prazipro, make sure there is enough oxygenation (ayirstone, etc). Also - have you checked ammonia, and other parameters?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - how are the other fish doing. The fish lying on its side is certainly EDIT - NOT a good situation. To me - though it could be multiple things - the scratching suggests a parasite. I could not see the video - but now it worked - it seems like your water is a little cloudy? And I see you have the ayirstone!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PS - how are the other fish doing. The fish lying on its side is certainly a good situation. To me - though it could be multiple things - the scratching suggests a parasite. I could not see the video - but now it worked - it seems like your water is a little cloudy? And I see you have the ayirstone!!!!
Yeah I just did a water change it’s the glass that’s dirty. This QT is a little old. I have three airstones, HOB filter and power head going. He is really struggling I’m going to try freshwater to save him from velvet

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Have you checked your ammonia, etc - the reason asking is that ammonia can also 'burn' the gills, making the respiratory rate higher. I know - it's not helpful now - since you changed the water to test ammonia.

A FW dip may be harmful - especially in the shape he is in - so I would watch carefully. I would also consider copper per the usual recommendations at the top of the thread.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you checked your ammonia, etc - the reason asking is that ammonia can also 'burn' the gills, making the respiratory rate higher. I know - it's not helpful now - since you changed the water to test ammonia.

A FW dip may be harmful - especially in the shape he is in - so I would watch carefully. I would also consider copper per the usual recommendations at the top of the thread.
I do have the Ammonia checker. It is reading 0. So if I don’t do fresh water I should just add copper power?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Timeline of events:

Fish is showing stress spots and as Much as I hate to say, there has been an influx of blonde nasos coming in from Sri Lanka and suspect is they are being cyanide caught and often are doing fine, sort of eating, then begin to stop eating and weaken to the point of rapid breathing then lethargy.
Prazi does reduce appetite but this is a treatment on assumption and gills flukes will show rapid breathing but if you truly have flukes present, you will see loss of appetite, loss of color, clamped fins, hiding, sudden darting and even cloudy eyes. Yawning is very noticeable with gill flukes. It sounds like a couple of these apply and not sure how you treated with prazi but advised is to apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is showing stress spots and as Much as I hate to say, there has been an influx of blonde nasos coming in from Sri Lanka and suspect is they are being cyanide caught and often are doing fine, sort of eating, then begin to stop eating and weaken to the point of rapid breathing then lethargy.
Prazi does reduce appetite but this is a treatment on assumption and gills flukes will show rapid breathing but if you truly have flukes present, you will see loss of appetite, loss of color, clamped fins, hiding, sudden darting and even cloudy eyes. Yawning is very noticeable with gill flukes. It sounds like a couple of these apply and not sure how you treated with prazi but advised is to apply initial dosage known as an interval for 8 days, do a water change and do one more 8 day dose interval
Use airstone with prazi as it does reduce both oxygen and appetite
What I ended up doing was dosing prazi on Saturday and the fish stopped eating Sunday. I took the Prazi out about an hour ago when I found him laying on his side. I also just dosed 1 tablespoon of copper to start ramping that up as i feared he has Velvet.

I'm guessing the copper may have been a bad move?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What I ended up doing was dosing prazi on Saturday and the fish stopped eating Sunday. I took the Prazi out about an hour ago when I found him laying on his side. I also just dosed 1 tablespoon of copper to start ramping that up as i feared he has Velvet.

FYI - in the case of a sick fish (as compared to just QT) - ramping up is not necessary since if it's a disease it can kill quickly. I do not think the copper is a bad move. However, IMHO - you need a copper test kit - to closely monitor the level - and different products require different levels - can you mention which brand you used?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Copper likely not needed and it must be Monitored precisely with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand. Ramping up also Not advised as ramping can allow the disease to gain resistance making it harder to treat a given disease. Add partial doses and get to the full treatment level as soon as possible if youre going to utilize copper.
I realize you are trying to get this fish back to norm but be very careful throwing different meds into tank as it can cause more harm than good. Copper has bonders for safe use and adding the wrong thing can break up the bonders and make the copper lethal.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - in the case of a sick fish (as compared to just QT) - ramping up is not necessary since if it's a disease it can kill quickly. I do not think the copper is a bad move. However, IMHO - you need a copper test kit - to closely monitor the level - and different products require different levels - can you mention which brand you used?
I have hannah

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Copper likely not needed and it must be Monitored precisely with a reliable copper test kit such as Hanna Brand. Ramping up also Not advised as ramping can allow the disease to gain resistance making it harder to treat a given disease. Add partial doses and get to the full treatment level as soon as possible if youre going to utilize copper.
I realize you are trying to get this fish back to norm but be very careful throwing different meds into tank as it can cause more harm than good. Copper has bonders for safe use and adding the wrong thing can break up the bonders and make the copper lethal.
I have a mimic, hippo, and watanbei in the same tank. All of them seem fine. Should I just let the naso die so I don’t risk losing the others as well?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a mimic, hippo, and watanbei in the same tank. All of them seem fine. Should I just let the naso die so I don’t risk losing the others as well?
Having them all together means - if it's a disease - that that risk is already there. Since they seem 'fine' now - you might want to consider moving the tang to another Hospital tank for treatment - and follow the recommended QT protocol with the rest.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Assume they all have something and treat the same as it will mimic quarantining which is beneficial

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Poor guy is on his side still breathing. Still no signs of velvet or ich. No white spots that i can notice. Copper power is at 2.6 and all the other guys are eating and swimming normally. Not even sure copper is the right treament for him but don't want to kill him with a freshwater dip.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Poor guy is on his side still breathing. Still no signs of velvet or ich. No white spots that i can notice. Copper power is at 2.6 and all the other guys are eating and swimming normally. Not even sure copper is the right treament for him but don't want to kill him with a freshwater dip.
This might be the 'syndrome' that @vetteguy53081 mentioned that has recently been. seen - do you think there could be any issue with acclimation (sorry if this has already been mentioned). Where did you get the fish?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
FW dip would have been beneficial if flukes or other but I fear that this is one of the very fish that are hitting the stores with this declining health issue and as much as I hate to say, once laying down is usually a beginning of a decline. Adding air stone may perk it up a little but often not of help.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be the 'syndrome' that @vetteguy53081 mentioned that has recently been. seen - do you think there could be any issue with acclimation (sorry if this has already been mentioned). Where did you get the fish?
Got the fish from LFS in Orlando. Pretty reputable store but probably get their supply from the popular wholesalers you guys are referring to. I'd had him for a week before problems arose so I don't think it was acclimation.

OP
OP
R

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FW dip would have been beneficial if flukes or other but I fear that this is one of the very fish that are hitting the stores with this declining health issue and as much as I hate to say, once laying down is usually a beginning of a decline. Adding air stone may perk it up a little but often not of help.
Ok so lets say that it is from the bad batch of Naso's. What about my other fish? Do you think they are ok to move on to the main display? I really don't want to do 30 days of copper on them if they are fine.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 20 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 63 46.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 47 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back