bloody big crab

billy mitchell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have an unwanted large crab when I say large I mean large ....body is maybe 1"+ across and has huge nippers ...looks like a mud crab...has demolished several blue legged hermits and has escaped being caught the glass jar method ..seems to be able to swim out of a 5"glass or can just push over the glass...it will not go into a 1 ltr water bottle that has the top cut off...is too smart
I am wondering if anyone has another idea on how to catch it
I was thinking of trying fishing line that has been birdnested (tangled up like a ball)
like the old fashioned witches hat crab trap where the crab gets tangled in the nylon line
Putting the nylon line on top of the bait and hoping it gets tangled up and can't get out
anyone have any other ideas

duke4130

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tie a piece of silver side to a rock and drop it in the in the middle of the night. Make sure it is dark and let the silverside sit for 15 minutes then check with a flash light. Get the net or tongs ready to grab it

OP
OP
B

billy mitchell

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank had 10 large hermit crabs now there are only 4 and I have removed them to sump
the crab is just too big so it can live in the sump with the other small crabs that are ok
all the experts in the hobby do not want crabs in their tanks because crabs attack the other inhabitants

tat2z_21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the big crab I had in my tank, I had to let him go because some neighbor pets came up missing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back