OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quite the ham you got there! Sorry about the clown :(

The blackcap will be cool. For wrasses, have you checked the wrasse lovers thread? Lots of good info there. Like flashers in a tank our size could be trouble due to their behavior. I've been recommended a leopard, pink streaks and possums, possibly certain heliocheres, but flashers and fairies generally no (some fairies a maybe).

I'm also planning to stock heavy, but trying to keep different fish in their spaces, sand gobies, cave firefish, hosted clowns, perching blenny, and a few swimming wrasses. Just got to keep the bioload in check!
Losing the clown sucked, but it's a lesson learned. I think I delayed treatment too long.

I have looked at the wrasse lovers thread. It's so long that at this point it's almost tough to comb through it haha. Flashers in a 40 seems to be kinda controversial. Some people say it's okay some say not. I think I am going to try it out. If I notice any problems then I'd definitely rehome, but it'd be pretty much the only 'open water' fish so hopefully it works out. I also considered a melanurus wrasse instead of the flasher, but again it's riiiiiight on the edge of what is acceptable ya know? Most of the fairies don't really do much for me.

Really like the pink streaks, but they are spendy and I haven't seen any. As far as leopards I am concerned about pod population so decided to skim 'em.

I've tried to keep the fish separate. The only area I am worried about is rockwork. Blenny, basslet, and possum I'd say are 'rock' fish. That's quite a few. I do have a few separate distinct areas of rock though, so hopefully they all can pick a turf.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Losing the clown sucked, but it's a lesson learned. I think I delayed treatment too long.

I have looked at the wrasse lovers thread. It's so long that at this point it's almost tough to comb through it haha. Flashers in a 40 seems to be kinda controversial. Some people say it's okay some say not. I think I am going to try it out. If I notice any problems then I'd definitely rehome, but it'd be pretty much the only 'open water' fish so hopefully it works out. I also considered a melanurus wrasse instead of the flasher, but again it's riiiiiight on the edge of what is acceptable ya know? Most of the fairies don't really do much for me.

Really like the pink streaks, but they are spendy and I haven't seen any. As far as leopards I am concerned about pod population so decided to skim 'em.

I've tried to keep the fish separate. The only area I am worried about is rockwork. Blenny, basslet, and possum I'd say are 'rock' fish. That's quite a few. I do have a few separate distinct areas of rock though, so hopefully they all can pick a turf.
I'll be super interested to see how the flasher works out. McKosker was the one I was eyeing before being convinced otherwise. The wrasseguy webpage also has good info on all the popular wrasses. I think that the 40L has great dimensions for its size, so I can see it working better for some fish than their min tank size advertized. Someone also recommended I try a pipefish in the 40L. But, I read they can have problems with anemones and I have 9 currently, so... Still, cool fish if you can get them to eat.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'd say the tank is cautiously stable.

Fish are all doing well. Basslet still seems to have some swim bladder dysfunction, but is eating, and otherwise seems fun. Hopefully it's resolves. I don't want to vent the swim bladder because I've heard it isn't a permanent fix and I'd simply be introducing bacteria/wound. If it doesn't resolve in a few weejs I'm considering capturing/selling. I realize that sounds bad, but I think it will continue to hide (except for feeding time) unless the swim bladder gets back to normal. It seems that without constant swimming the fish is buoyant, so it stays in a cave, or under an overhang so it doesn't float to the top. I'd like to have a fish that at least has the -option- to swim around and explore.

Corals are doing well, all growing except cloves which seems to be recovering still. I'd like to add more corals, but am concerned that the tank is young and my success so far is just luck.

Plan to add more frogspawn/octo/hammers to the left. REALLY want to do a big goni garden in the dead center behind the GSP, but again worried the tank is too young. Need recommendations for what to do with the back right column near the finger leather and Duncan's. Some kind of medium- medium high light encrusting chalice could be cool, or maybe a monti cap?

Recommendations for the right side? Should I trial a cheaper goni in the center, or should I slow my roll and wait for a few weeks?

Attachments

• PXL_20230530_000612799.jpg
    PXL_20230530_000612799.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 85

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the fish/coral? A goni garden there would be pretty awesome. @steveschuerger has a goni heaven and I'm sure he can advise! He's got the next step up in IM tanks from ours, so you can take a lot from his build.

What did you end up planning for your sand bed? I added a bunch of my Evo sand bed corals, but half don't seem very happy, and I'm having trouble dialing in the flow for them.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, @JoJosReef is right, it's been too long since an update! Not sure about the sand bed. Hesitant on big fleshy LPS right now. Maybe do an RFA garden on the left sand area?

Also, @Dbirdie614 - DO IT! One of us! Have been loving the tank so far, dimensions, equipment, even the stand is pricey but I do rather like it.
PXL_20230613_235034830.MP.jpg
Fish - Unfortunately the second of the original two clowns died to seemingly the same disease as the last one. Just suddenly stopped eating, got lethargic, then died. I updated the original sick clown thread when the second one got sick. Still not sure what killed them. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/intestinal-parasites-flukes-both.986473/page-2#post-11442082. Basslet swim bladder is still an issue, but it seems happy and I do see it more often. Always hanging poking out of it's cave. Eventually still may want to capture/rehome, but she can stay for now. Blenny is an absolute champion, my favorite fish by far. Black clown is happy/active/eating.

Was going to set up a QT to add more fish after learning my lesson with the clowns, but since I am only adding another 3 maybe 4 fish I think it might be more economical to go Dr. Reef like jojo and himbo have been doing. Still planning on goby/shrimp, mccoskers, 1 more clown, and I wanted to do a possum wrasse but they are crazy expensive from Dr. Reef. Like double what they are in the LFS.

Coral - 4 additions since last pic/update. Added a green polyp toadstool. It's looking great. I'm surprised it took me so long to find one. A few days ago I added a bizzaro cyphastrea, a pink 'goni' that looks like a bernardapora to me, and a beach bum monti. I'm a little nervous about these corals since they are the most 'advanced' ones I have. They seem to be okay so far, but there is a small white spot on the cyphastrea. Almost looks like it got stung. Nothing nearby, but I wonder if it was stung when I got it and just didn't realize. Was going for a medium light encruster (cyphastrea) for the middle left rock, and a med/high light (monti) for the top right kinda tower rock. Unfortunately the top of the right rock is directly in front of a return nozzle and the gyre so the direct flow would be a problem. May have to adjust the scape on that side or move the gyre? Have the monti just hanging out back behind the goni for now.
PXL_20230613_235059280.jpg PXL_20230613_235107028.jpg
PXL_20230613_235207290.MP.jpg

A few new zoa polyps, the sinularia shed and is open again, GSP is now growing polyps in a separate little colony from the main one as well which is exciting. Have 3-4 new heads starting on the octospawn. Unfortunately the cleaner shrimp steals food from the duncans when I feed them, so not sure what to do about that. Also the cloves have really not recovered well after the H2O2 dip, only 1 or 2 polyps left and they rarely open. I think it's toast unfortunately.
PXL_20230613_235215944.MP.jpg

General tank - Algae is still minimal. Just some film on the glass covered in a carpet of copepods. I believe one hermit crab was a victim of peer violence. I think I may have identified my first aiptasia just behind the duncan. Will watch closely to confirm and probably nuke it with some superglue once I am sure it's not a new duncan head hahaha. Have ordered a hanna alk checker because the RS titration test is a pain in the butt, and I feel I need to monitor alk much more closely with the 3 new corals. Also have some reef chili coming in that I will do maybe once a week for the goni.

Still not feeling the need for a skimmer yet. Probably once I get some more fish in there.

Coming soon - Hopefully a Dr. Reef order with some fish. And probably some goniopora if the current one does okay for a week or two. Really poor selection of goniopora locally so I think I may have to order online. Have heard good things about the ORA red goni.

Dbirdie614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, @JoJosReef is right, it's been too long since an update! Not sure about the sand bed. Hesitant on big fleshy LPS right now. Maybe do an RFA garden on the left sand area?

Also, @Dbirdie614 - DO IT! One of us! Have been loving the tank so far, dimensions, equipment, even the stand is pricey but I do rather like it.
Fish - Unfortunately the second of the original two clowns died to seemingly the same disease as the last one. Just suddenly stopped eating, got lethargic, then died. I updated the original sick clown thread when the second one got sick. Still not sure what killed them. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/intestinal-parasites-flukes-both.986473/page-2#post-11442082. Basslet swim bladder is still an issue, but it seems happy and I do see it more often. Always hanging poking out of it's cave. Eventually still may want to capture/rehome, but she can stay for now. Blenny is an absolute champion, my favorite fish by far. Black clown is happy/active/eating.

Was going to set up a QT to add more fish after learning my lesson with the clowns, but since I am only adding another 3 maybe 4 fish I think it might be more economical to go Dr. Reef like jojo and himbo have been doing. Still planning on goby/shrimp, mccoskers, 1 more clown, and I wanted to do a possum wrasse but they are crazy expensive from Dr. Reef. Like double what they are in the LFS.

Coral - 4 additions since last pic/update. Added a green polyp toadstool. It's looking great. I'm surprised it took me so long to find one. A few days ago I added a bizzaro cyphastrea, a pink 'goni' that looks like a bernardapora to me, and a beach bum monti. I'm a little nervous about these corals since they are the most 'advanced' ones I have. They seem to be okay so far, but there is a small white spot on the cyphastrea. Almost looks like it got stung. Nothing nearby, but I wonder if it was stung when I got it and just didn't realize. Was going for a medium light encruster (cyphastrea) for the middle left rock, and a med/high light (monti) for the top right kinda tower rock. Unfortunately the top of the right rock is directly in front of a return nozzle and the gyre so the direct flow would be a problem. May have to adjust the scape on that side or move the gyre? Have the monti just hanging out back behind the goni for now.

A few new zoa polyps, the sinularia shed and is open again, GSP is now growing polyps in a separate little colony from the main one as well which is exciting. Have 3-4 new heads starting on the octospawn. Unfortunately the cleaner shrimp steals food from the duncans when I feed them, so not sure what to do about that. Also the cloves have really not recovered well after the H2O2 dip, only 1 or 2 polyps left and they rarely open. I think it's toast unfortunately.

General tank - Algae is still minimal. Just some film on the glass covered in a carpet of copepods. I believe one hermit crab was a victim of peer violence. I think I may have identified my first aiptasia just behind the duncan. Will watch closely to confirm and probably nuke it with some superglue once I am sure it's not a new duncan head hahaha. Have ordered a hanna alk checker because the RS titration test is a pain in the butt, and I feel I need to monitor alk much more closely with the 3 new corals. Also have some reef chili coming in that I will do maybe once a week for the goni.

Still not feeling the need for a skimmer yet. Probably once I get some more fish in there.

Coming soon - Hopefully a Dr. Reef order with some fish. And probably some goniopora if the current one does okay for a week or two. Really poor selection of goniopora locally so I think I may have to order online. Have heard good things about the ORA red goni.
Loading up my BRS cart as we speak. I think I am going to go with the Cube model because it fits my space perfectly. Going with a softie and clown tank. Super excited to share my progress and troubleshoot with you guys.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loading up my BRS cart as we speak. I think I am going to go with the Cube model because it fits my space perfectly. Going with a softie and clown tank. Super excited to share my progress and troubleshoot with you guys.
I believe the IM tanks are drop shipped from BRS. I'm not sure if you earn points from BRS, but it might be easier to order direct from IM in case something goes wrong with the shipping like it did with mine. Either way, exciting! Be sure to make a build thread!

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here we go, goals!

Dbirdie614

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe the IM tanks are drop shipped from BRS. I'm not sure if you earn points from BRS, but it might be easier to order direct from IM in case something goes wrong with the shipping like it did with mine. Either way, exciting! Be sure to make a build thread!
Thank you for the heads up. Now that I am looking on the site, this one is catching my eye.

trophyhimbo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Wow your tank is looking so great!! Loving that blenny in there, I think after this fairy wrasse comes in either starry or midas will be the next purchase. The pre-quarantined fish are definitely a lot more expensive than my LFS but I am also incredibly lazy and particular about stuff lying around and do not want to set up another quarantine tank...

Jealous of your non-algae! I have to figure out a way to get rid of mine. What have been your most effective clean up crew members so far?

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the heads up. Now that I am looking on the site, this one is catching my eye.

Wow your tank is looking so great!! Loving that blenny in there, I think after this fairy wrasse comes in either starry or midas will be the next purchase. The pre-quarantined fish are definitely a lot more expensive than my LFS but I am also incredibly lazy and particular about stuff lying around and do not want to set up another quarantine tank...

Jealous of your non-algae! I have to figure out a way to get rid of mine. What have been your most effective clean up crew members so far?
Thanks, man. The blenny is definitely the star. Wasn't even originally on the list, but he's just way too cool. Love everything about that fish! Starry are really cool as well. I wish I could do both!

More expensive in general sure, but specifically possum wrasses are waaaay more expensive which is frustrating, but I can do without!

Pods definitely MVP #1. When the film algae starts to build up on the glass they literally swarm it. Like thousands just all over the glass. Conch coming in at #2 probably followed surprisingly by the margarita snails, but apparently they don't always last very long in warmer tanks.

steveschuerger

I love Gonis and Euphyllia. Maybe too much
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any update on the fish/coral? A goni garden there would be pretty awesome. @steveschuerger has a goni heaven and I'm sure he can advise! He's got the next step up in IM tanks from ours, so you can take a lot from his build.

What did you end up planning for your sand bed? I added a bunch of my Evo sand bed corals, but half don't seem very happy, and I'm having trouble dialing in the flow for them.
Biggest thing for Gonis is good flow and moderate light. They can acclimate to higher PAR however. I’ve got a few that are pretty high up near middle of the tank. A couple things to note. Don’t mix Gonis with Alveopora and Bernardpora(short, compact). There will be war. Otherwise Gonis can generally be right on top of each other practically. Here’s some shots to give you an idea.
B52E0F9B-B349-4831-990F-3D74F7697E8F.jpeg
DBD03C43-52D9-4D1E-9B60-1251753CC74D.jpeg
015F2510-F04E-4D78-95AB-89422C3A7025.jpeg

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest thing for Gonis is good flow and moderate light. They can acclimate to higher PAR however. I’ve got a few that are pretty high up near middle of the tank. A couple things to note. Don’t mix Gonis with Alveopora and Bernardpora(short, compact). There will be war. Otherwise Gonis can generally be right on top of each other practically. Here’s some shots to give you an idea.
B52E0F9B-B349-4831-990F-3D74F7697E8F.jpeg
DBD03C43-52D9-4D1E-9B60-1251753CC74D.jpeg
015F2510-F04E-4D78-95AB-89422C3A7025.jpeg
Wow, looks amazing! Thanks for the info.

I knew the bernardpora had to be separate, I didn't realize alveopora too!

Once I get a few actual goni I think I'll move the bernardpora maybe just a little bit to the foreground on the left so they visually are together but should be separate to avoid war.

Do you feed or dose Mn or anything special for them? Or is it really just down to light/flow?

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, looks amazing! Thanks for the info.

I knew the bernardpora had to be separate, I didn't realize alveopora too!

Once I get a few actual goni I think I'll move the bernardpora maybe just a little bit to the foreground on the left so they visually are together but should be separate to avoid war.

Do you feed or dose Mn or anything special for them? Or is it really just down to light/flow?
Bernies are really aggressive. I had one that I thought was far enough from my Micromussa lords, wrongo. It had stung the top edge of the closest one. It’s now in the back of the tank wall for now. I just broadcast feed mostly with frozen for the whole tank. Occasionally give them Goniopower mixed with some water and pipette it on them once a week or twice sometimes. They like higher Mag levels as well 1350 or better yet over 1400. Experiment with the flow. They can take a modestly high amount if it’s a random pulse.

steveschuerger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A nice peaceful wrasse that would work and be polite to the other fish would be a McCoskers . A 40 would be fine for it. Or possibly a smaller Halichoeres wrasse, like a yellow coris.

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef update time, yay! New livestock coming, chemistry struggles, temperature struggles, mystery coral issues, a new pest?! (Wow that's a straight up youtube clickbait title, man). You won't believe how mediocre this tank is!

Coral - Most of the coral is doing well. 4 very clear, very small new polyps off the GSP, and I am sure there are more hiding underneath the longer polyps near the main colony. The RFA seems to have finally put on some size as well, or maybe is just more spread out. The new heads growing on the octospawn really haven't done much, they are still there though. The small bernard/goni is doing great. Solid polyp extension, but it is getting knocked off the rock onto the sand probably twice a week. Considering it seems happy up there it might be time to glue/epoxy. GREAT polyp extension on the cyphastrea. Considering moving it to lower light though.
PXL_20230630_232054787.jpg PXL_20230630_232026095.jpg PXL_20230630_232017872.jpg
My big concern right now is I have two colonies of zoas that are acting.... funny. The tubbs blue and the small polyps just in the foreground of the gorgonian or whatever it is aren't quite fully extended. I think the gorgonian/leather is stinging the small colony in front of it, so I will likely move it and see if it helps. As far as the tubbs blue above them on the rocks? I'm not sure why they aren't as open as usual.
PXL_20230630_231810502.jpg
Also the cleaner shrimp will pester the hell out of the duncan after feeding. Cleaner shrimp may have to go soon if I decide to do scoly/trachy/other fleshier LPS.

My two rhodactis are also much more pinched up than usual. I don't think they are splitting, but they are definitely not happy. I moved the orange rhodactis in front of the rockwork to give it a little less light and see if that helps, but it's been a few days and it hasn't improved. The goni garden/new coral is on hold while I figure out what's angering the corals. Which brings us to water chemistry/temp.
PXL_20230630_231948707.MP.jpg PXL_20230630_231954266.MP.jpg
Chemistry/temp - My alkalinity took a dump all the way down to 6.4. Ended up grabbing some two part from red sea. Dosed a total of 7mL of alk over a few days and brought it back up to 7.2. Really need to get my RODI running so I can select a salt mix that mixes a little higher on alk, but I have been SOOOOO lazy with the RODI. Finally got it attached to water, but haven't turned it on or tested it yet. I will likely need new resin. Nitrates are ranging from 15-low 20s with my schedule of 10g every 2 weeks or so on the water changes. Phos 0.01-0.02. I am not too worried about the higher nitrates since I am not having much in the way of algae problems aside from some minor film algae at the top of the rock work. Temperature has been running 78-81f. Temps here have been in the high 90s to mid 100s for a few weeks. Nothing too dramatic, so I haven't been freezing water bottles or anything, but I do leave the ceiling fan above the tank on. Also haven't tested Ca++/Mg++. Bad boy, I know, but the tests are a pain and I really can't imagine they are that far out of wack.

Fish- Blenny is..... yep, he's fantastic. Great fish. Perfect. The black clown who is now known as 'emo nemo' by visitors is also doing perfectly well, but seems lonely. The blackcap basslet has IMPROVED!!!!! The swim bladder issues seem to have mostly resolved. Verrrrrrry minimal buoyancy issues. She is now out and about exploring most of the day even when I'm not near the tank with food. Really excited to see her getting better. I was concerned that the swim bladder would kill her in somewhat short order, but I now have high hopes for a long healthy life.
PXL_20230630_231930895.MP.jpg
It's been ~3 weeks since the clown-pocalypse. No signs of disease, no lethargic fish, no discoloration, NOTHING. Which means I finally decided to order some new aquatic friends. Placed a Dr. Reef order for a McCosker's, a yasha, and a blackstorm clown. I really wanted to do orange/black pair, but the more I thought about it the less I liked it. Thought about going with another black/white normal ocellaris, but thought a different pattern but same colors on the blackstorm would be really cool. No word on dates for the fish yet, but I am quite excited!

Pest? - Didn't manage to get a picture, but I did see a fairly large white slug crawling on the glass. The fish picked at it until it fell off the glass. Flatworm? Stomatella? Not sure what it was, but it's the only one I've seen, so it will be left alone for now.

Gear- Ended up snagging a BubbleMagus MiniQ. I don't feel that I need it for now, but I wanna get it running to help offset the addition of 3 fishes worth of bioload once my Dr. Reef order arrives.

Any body have any ideas as to what's going on with the zoas/rhodactis? Everything else seems fine. Even the ricordea seems okay. I thought it was the alk, but that doesn't seem to have fixed 'em. Temperature? Nitrates are high, but they've been running high since well before I got the morphs.

Oooooh, I've also been itching to buy a ~10g nano of some kind because I want more reefing in my life. Please talk me out of it.

Last edited:

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk drop is a bit odd. You don't have too many corals to suck up the alk. Those shrooms don't look pinched for splitting. I am no.good at shrooms, so don't take advice from me, but when I've seen them split, it's usually middle-out, like this guy is doing right now:
PXL_20230701_000840399.jpg

My rhodactis get pinched up when they're not happy--either too much light or sitting next to someone they don't like.

Can't wait to see the McKosker in your tank!

OP
OP
Blopple

Blopple

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk drop is a bit odd. You don't have too many corals to suck up the alk. Those shrooms don't look pinched for splitting. I am no.good at shrooms, so don't take advice from me, but when I've seen them split, it's usually middle-out, like this guy is doing right now:
PXL_20230701_000840399.jpg

My rhodactis get pinched up when they're not happy--either too much light or sitting next to someone they don't like.

Can't wait to see the McKosker in your tank!
On further inspection it looks like one of the shrooms did actually split. The other one I don't know what's up though. Its been in that same spot for months haha.

For the alk I am thinking the premixed water was just low on all to begin with. Gonna start testing more closely before water changes, and get on my own salt mix soon.

Very excited for the new fish - especially the wrasse!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back