Blue eye tang bullying new comer

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I just recently decided to expand my 125 with new fish due to my tank being very under populated.
I purchased a fox face and a sailfin and a few smaller fish.
I released the smaller fish after a hour of acclamation but I kept the sailfin and fox face in a breeder box inside the tank for a week to get the fish used to them.
My blue eye tang loves the sail fin but gets a little snippy towards the fox face. Any suggestions to stop this?

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror on the side of the tank to keep the Blue eye occupied while the foxface finds a place to hold its
by mirror you mean what lol…
My fox face just swims around some time the tang bothers him but right now the fox is just sitting in a Corner like this

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 29

ghill

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face and royal blue tang are the best of friends. They hang together all day but go their separate ways at night. The tank sleeps in a cave and the Fox face rests on the gravel at the rear of the tank. When it is time to feed both like the dried seaweed, but I put some frozen protean in for the tang every couple of days.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fox face just swims around some time the tang bothers him but right now the fox is just sitting in a Corner like this
They mean like a legit mirror! Like a hand mirror or if your S.O has a makeup mirror. Tape it to a side of the tank and your tang should try to *beat up* the now random other blue tang :)

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They mean like a legit mirror! Like a hand mirror or if your S.O has a makeup mirror. Tape it to a side of the tank and your tang should try to *beat up* the now random other blue tang :)
Update! I did this and it seems to work a bit. The tang keeps attacking the glass and the fox face seems to swim around a little bit but as soon as the tangs sees him it goes right after the fox face. The fox face puts his spins in the tangs face.
Do you think I should maybe put the tang in a breed we box for a day?

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mirror on the side of the tank to keep the Blue eye occupied while the foxface finds a place to hold its ground.
Update! I did this and it seems to work a bit. The tang keeps attacking the glass and the fox face seems to swim around a little bit but as soon as the tangs sees him it goes right after the fox face. The fox face puts his spins in the tangs face.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea that does tend to be an issue when adding fish with an established tang in the tank... you could try to capture the tang and give them a sump time out for a week or so?

I've done it with mixed results, some start acting like role model again while others stay the same or sometimes even more agressive...

Or some people put the new fish into a "introduction" aka a large breeder box or sometimes even a fish trap. So the other fish can check them out but if they try to agress on them they get hit with a ""forcefield"" and can't actually do anything LOL, until they give up and figure they can't actually do anything to the new guy.

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

let the tang wear itself out.
If its not shredding its fins on the sand or substrait shaddow boxxing itself, its cool.
The more worn out the tang is the less it will beat up on the foxface.

Once the foxface learns its place, it will hold its ground.
Right now the foxface is trying to acclimate to its new enviorment, but once it does, it will tell the Tang to buzz off.

And then you will get a friendenemy relationship between the two.
One second they will be swimming with each other like bff's, and then next, they will do the "you so did not" act.

OP
OP
S

Spookyclemente

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
let the tang wear itself out.
If its not shredding its fins on the sand or substrait shaddow boxxing itself, its cool.
The more worn out the tang is the less it will beat up on the foxface.

Once the foxface learns its place, it will hold its ground.
Right now the foxface is trying to acclimate to its new enviorment, but once it does, it will tell the Tang to buzz off.

And then you will get a friendenemy relationship between the two.
One second they will be swimming with each other like bff's, and then next, they will do the "you so did not" act.
Alrighty I’ll let it run its course and see what happens. My only concern is I’m going away on Wednesday and won’t be back home till Sunday, so what do you suggest I do for that time? Just let it run its course?
I just put him in a breeder box just for a little bit. The fox face is kind of chilling out right near him so hopefully that’s a good sign. I’ll take them out of the breeder box now that I just read this

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Normal for them, especially when new. Mine does that anytime someone new looks at the tank. Skitty fish, always acting like the sky is falling lol

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fox face is kind of chilling out right near him so hopefully that’s a good sign

thats the beginning of the friendenemy i was talking about.

One moment they are seriously BFF.
Next moment the Foxface is blowing bubbles at the top of the tank and telling the Tang to bug off.

Foxfaces are funny fishes once they get settled.

I think when you see it do the bubble blowing at the top, you'll probably get freaked out on that as well.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 26.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back