Blue hippo tang day 1

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today i started noticing white spots on him. I read that they are very prone to ich. He has scratched himself on the LR and on the sand. For the most part he hangs next to the heat stick. I fed him take and he did eat a little. I have read a couple recomendations to start for treating ich such as green sea weed soaked in garlic. Any personal recomendations. He is the first fish in the tank and he has been in there for 24 hours.

boehm742

ReefKeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up running? About how big is he? You fed him 'take'? What exactly are you feeding? Yes they are prone to ich from things like stress.

Edit: Also your desc says you have a 27g tank, is that what hes in.... :(!

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The guy at the pet store said he would be fine for a bit. But i think i am going to go ahead and return and just start with clown fish. I def want to make sure he is in good conditions.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a QT set up to treat him? I know it's too late for now, but if not... a wise investment for the future. When I had a problem with ich in the past, I used garlic and had good results. Not only did I soak the food, but I added some garlic to the tank as well. The stuff I used was Kent Garlic Extreme. May just be a coincidence, but my tang cleared up in a couple days and pulled through.

OP
OP
T

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to invest in a QT later this week. I will use the kents garlic extreme asap. Thank you for the help. I will keep posted.

Captain Nemo

Look Ma, it's Nemo!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you need to feed him the seaweed, nori preferably, they are prone to ich and stress easily. A bigger tank would be better and not stress him so much. good luck!

OP
OP
T

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me and my roomate noticed that some of the white spots fell off, so we were wondering if it is maybe debris from the tank on him?

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blue Hippos are one of the most sensitive for ich. There is a chance that the ich may already be in your water column and even taking him back may not solve your problem. If it's in your water column, then the clowns may have the same issue. Getting him out asap is your best chance before the ich goes through any more cycles. Good luck!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ich is still there, it stays with them, and usually when you see the spots the fish has had the ich for a while. When the fish is scraping on the rock or sand it is a sign of ich.

Feed the garlic soaked food and since your tank is new I would say you are fine to do a ich treatment with the above mentioned medicines.

Lesson number 1 in this hobby is to never listen to the LFS, ask your questions here first. The LFS is in it to make money and a good percentage of them will tell you anything to make a buck.

OP
OP
T

Tim&Amanda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The earliest i can start is tomorrow. I am going to get the nori seaweed and kent garlic extreme along with the ich treatment. I know the sooner the better but hopefully tomorrow will not be too late. Thanks for the help everyone.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 78 33.6%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 38 16.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.3%
Back