Blue line grouper care

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first time keeping an grouper, i have him in a 40 gallon with an eel and an Niger trigger with a cleaner wrasse (added cleaner wrasse at the same time as the grouper) looks good so far, the grouper was intended for the 210g with the tess but after getting the grouper shipped to me it was smaller than it looked in the pics about 5 to 6 inches, i wanna grow him to atleast 8inch before adding into the 210 so any info about him would be appreciated

Do groupers also usually come with internal parasites?

Should I feed him the same diet as my eels?
Sardine/mackerel, squid, whole shrimp with shell, tilapia

What is their growth rate?

Can I keep other groupers with him? I do know that he's doing well with the Niger trigger, he's big enough for the trigger to leave him alone

If I ever keep him with the tessalata its only going to be short term until I get a bigger tank or a decent sized tank for other predatory fish

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help with the question, but I can bump the thread to see if we can get you some assistance.

dennis romano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept several groupers. First of all, you have too many fish for that size tank. A system collapse is inevitable. As for the grouper, it is an eating machine, with the tankmates being a potential meal. If a fish can fit into its mouth, including other groupers, it will eat it. I once had a foot long blue cod grouper eat a ten inch Miniatus. Growth rate is very fast.

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept several groupers. First of all, you have too many fish for that size tank. A system collapse is inevitable. As for the grouper, it is an eating machine, with the tankmates being a potential meal. If a fish can fit into its mouth, including other groupers, it will eat it. I once had a foot long blue cod grouper eat a ten inch Miniatus. Growth rate is very fast.
I see. My Niger trigger sadly jumped out and he couldn't make it so currently I have 4 fish in my tank fine spotted moray(18-20inches), blue line grouper(6-7 inches), Indian sweetlip(4inch) and lastly a cleaner wrasse

Don't worry it's just a holding tank until I get them a bigger one, I have a 210g with a 30 inch tessalata and i fear that the tess might eat the blue line grouper so I am just growing him up until he's big enough

OP
OP
H

HAAAAAAAA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t help either but would love to see a picture! @lion king ?
He hides alot since he's a new addition but here's a picture

Sorry if it isn't clear, tanks going through a diatom phase Lol (it's clearing up quite fast though so no worries)

Attachments

• IMG_20240107_150712.jpg
    IMG_20240107_150712.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 44

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He hides alot since he's a new addition but here's a picture

Sorry if it isn't clear, tanks going through a diatom phase Lol (it's clearing up quite fast though so no worries)
Oh geez what a face, that is a beauty. When it is less shy post another pic, I would love to see the whole fish!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back