Blue Tang and Yellow Tang?

xbrentx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125G tank, 6 feet long, I have a Yellow and Blue and they are fine. 75G I would stick with one tang personally.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo you could keep both in your 75 gal for a long time,Eventually the blue will outgrow it though.And iv seen many people keep them together with no problems.I have a couple friends with them in 75s

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally wouldn't do it. A healthy P. hepatus should outgrow a 75 in about a year (( give or take, depending on the starting size )).

It isn't always easy to sell a fish that has outgrown your tank, catching a hepatus in a tank will rock work will be a challenge, plus finding a proper home for it. IME/O, it is best to stock for the tank that you currently have -- and can house the fish for their lifespan.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 75 gallon is way to small for a blue tang, it's not even half the proper size. You will end up having problems later, you can find several accounts on here where people did it anyway then ask why are my fish dieing, having an ich outbreak, or my blue tang looks terrible about six months later.

tuanc704

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your Yellow Tang will not like the new Blue unless you re-rocks or take the Yellow out and put both in together

ifarmer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should be fine if they are small. these fish do not grow big in over night.
in 1-2 year after they grow out, you can trade or sell it and get a smaller one again.
I was able to keep both in a 35g for over a year without any problem

Acanholic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the tang police will hate me. I raised a blue tang and a yellow tang in 25 gallons for almost 3 years. I bought them extremely small though. Then I upgrade and they live together in a 75 gallons. Healthy strong fishes they don't like algae. Just ocean nutrition pellets with garlic.

DSP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your responsible and upgrade the tank before the fish outgrows it then it will be fine.Blue tangs grow pretty slow.If you bought a 2-3 inch blue tang you would be able to keep it in a 75 gallon for quite a while.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As long as your responsible and upgrade the tank before the fish outgrows it then it will be fine.Blue tangs grow pretty slow.If you bought a 2-3 inch blue tang you would be able to keep it in a 75 gallon for quite a while.

Blue tangs do not grow slow, I got a microscopic yellow belly blue tang the size of a dime last summer and it is now my largest fish. In less than a year it is longer and thicker than my four year old yellow tang and three year old powder blue tang. It is probably five to six inches long and was no more than a half inch a little over a year ago.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experince with Tangs is if you add them together they seem to do fine. If you alredy have one they can be very agressive towards new additions causing stress. Also i have had a blue Tang for 11 years in a 100 and he has never gotten too big for tank. Sometimes a wonder if fish grow to the size of tank.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got them together, with alot more also. In a 240g tank. No problems with either whatsoever.

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends on the personality of your yellow tang.
Some can be really territorial.

Next issue is an ethical one.
I personally do not buy fish unless I have the means to keep it for life.
If did not plan on having at least a 6 foot tank I would not get one, but that is just me.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 103 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back