Blue throat triggers

stephen_g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone has any experience with blue throats? I picked up a 4" male/female pair yesterday for less than $100.

Was kinda an impulse buy but I did read that a lot of people have had luck with them in their reef tanks.

Thanks everyone

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
have, correction, had :( a pair they where (for me at least) model citizens...
the male just past away leaving the female running solo for the time being..
I have a full mixed reef and neither have even been seen nipping at anything, not even the shrimp!

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Safest trigger for a reef tank. I had a pair for some time and never had a problem with corals. I think my male eventually did in a very large coral banded shrimp I had. They use to play a game where the trigger would approach the shrimp and the shrimp would extend those pincers all the way out and stand off the trigger. It was amusing. I'm guessing trigger boy caught the shrimp sleeping and he was history.

OP
OP
stephen_g

stephen_g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you guys have had the the same experience that most everyone else I read about has had, which is reassuring :)

Just put them in last night and they're eating like crazy and, surprisingly, not that shy. Almost seems too good to be true lol

Hopefully these turn out to be like the majority and I don't end up with a monster lol

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male and am considering a female. He eats out of my hand, has occiassionally gotten excited and tried to bite my finger (feels like a kitten bite). Lots of personality, always out to greet me.

I am interested in hearing about others experience with a pair. Do they have to go in at the same time? They are large/messy eaters. I feed mine krill every other day and always make sure to break off a larger piece of mysis for him on the daily feedings.

Will he be at a disadvantage without a mate?

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had them in reef setups individually and in prs. They were safe with corals and inverts in all cases.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a male in a reef tank with absolutely zero issues (other than being slightly territorial towards his "hole" in the live rock.) I introduced a Kole Tang that headed directly for his cave....the Trigger eventually chased him out and away. Now they get along fine.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair in a 180.. Got them both at around 3". Now one is around 5" and the there around 4.5".

It seems if you have two around the same size that both will be females, even if one was male to begin with. I had my male "turn" female for about a year. Just recently (2 months ago) one of the triggers is now a male with the full on yellow fins and blue jaw. They have some spawning behavior which is a bit annoying because they push sand everywhere.

They are great fish and entertaining. They are fat and are the first to eat, it is also possible that they are responsible for shrimp "disappearing".

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am also considering this fish for my new mixed reef setup, 120 gallon with plan tankmates: yellow tang, clown, 3 yellowtail damsels and 1 wrasse (tbd)

Newb73

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He is doing great. I've added a very timid copper band butterfly as well as a bicolor rabbit. No issues.

mrtian97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, really interested with this trigger. I will wait until my tank mature more in couple months then I may get a male one (looks better than the female)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 72 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 53 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.9%
Back