Bluethroat Trigger pair

Randi35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! I bought my two triggers as a pair. They have been getting along great with the occasional spat between them. She stays in the large part of the ship we have in there and he likes to stay in the rock behind it. Yesterday, my female refused to eat. Food swirling around and not even a move to get a piece. I watched her throughout the day and she stayed between the boat and the rock. When she did decide to come back to the entrance of the boat, the male chased her off and has been guarding that area pretty heavily since. So much so that, he didn't chase down the food on the opposite side of the tank this morning until he knew she wouldn't come out. It's a 210 gallon tank so there is plenty of room. I don't know where she is now because she never came out to eat...is this just a normal tif they will get over or is this something I should be worried about?

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0765.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello! I bought my two triggers as a pair. They have been getting along great with the occasional spat between them. She stays in the large part of the ship we have in there and he likes to stay in the rock behind it. Yesterday, my female refused to eat. Food swirling around and not even a move to get a piece. I watched her throughout the day and she stayed between the boat and the rock. When she did decide to come back to the entrance of the boat, the male chased her off and has been guarding that area pretty heavily since. So much so that, he didn't chase down the food on the opposite side of the tank this morning until he knew she wouldn't come out. It's a 210 gallon tank so there is plenty of room. I don't know where she is now because she never came out to eat...is this just a normal tif they will get over or is this something I should be worried about?
It’s either intimidation, but also check water quality and look for any signs of injury as they hide and dive into rocks

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the male stole the females favorite spot and she's upset about it. My male outgrew his favorite spot and was miserable for a couple days until he found a new spot. I thought he was sick but he was just sulking!

89582.gif

OP
OP
R

Randi35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like the male stole the females favorite spot and she's upset about it. My male outgrew his favorite spot and was miserable for a couple days until he found a new spot. I thought he was sick but he was just sulking!

89582.gif
It's possible. That's kind of what I was thinking about her yesterday. I didn't think she was sick just in a mood and when I saw that, it confirmed the issue but I haven't seen her all day today.

OP
OP
R

Randi35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome, you might need to post this question in a different forum if no one is able to help in here, sounds like the male is being a bully!
IMG_0273.jpeg
I agree. They were getting along fine. They were in the same tank alone together when I bought them and they have Been inseparable since. Until now. And I have some exploring to do on here. Lol I always see posts and responses, just never signed up. Thank you for the help

1112-425XL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's possible. That's kind of what I was thinking about her yesterday. I didn't think she was sick just in a mood and when I saw that, it confirmed the issue but I haven't seen her all day today.
They're good at getting up under rocks and caves, and wedging themselves in.

OP
OP
R

Randi35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They're good at getting up under rocks and caves, and wedging themselves in.
Oh believe me I know. They love to credit card themselves. This is my 2nd pair. I had my tank go upside-down and they are my first triggers since getting it back up. They are excellent at hiding

OP
OP
R

Randi35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s either intimidation, but also check water quality and look for any signs of injury as they hide and dive into rocks
Checking water was the first thing I did. All is good when it comes water quality and such. I will definitely check her out when she backs out. She's been in hiding all day

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back