Bobby Jack Boss Hog the Third

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ashlynn finally got a ferret this month, after more than a year of begging. (I didn't want to do it because I thought even descented it would stink)... So, now her bedroom smells like a cedar forest, and here's the new family member:

Ferret1.jpg

Ferret3.jpg

Ferret2.jpg

Ferret4.jpg

It's kind of cute, but I keep thinking she just should have named it Mr. Weasel instead. I wasn't really enthused either when it learned how to pop open the door to it's cage, and I woke up to it licking my nose from next to my head on my pillow the day before yesterday.... :lol:

:D
Laurie

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I love ferrets, too. I rasied them when I was a kid, so they were fulled scented. Even then, if you keep them bathed, they won't stink the place up too bad. They have a naturally musky scent, but it's not too bad. The biggest issue is 'litter' training. You should never use actual litter because of respiratory issues-newspaper is my padding of choice (cheap and a constantly replenishing supply). If you get them young enough, you can train them to go in certain places, but they are usually not 100%.

Mr. Weasel looks a little older. Any idea how old it is? My last one was about 2 when I got it and had been abused (could see every rib i it's body and was kept in a 1'x1'x2' long cage. It had obviously been kicked around from time to time based on behavior. Puc lived until he was 9. That is almost ancient for a ferret. He had adrenal gland surgery and made it about another 6 months before he passed in his sleep. They get a lot more cuddly over the years. We just got custody of another ferret about a month and a half ago (friends of ours were getting a divorce and neither wanted to worry about the upkeep). Khaki is somewhere between 4-5 and is still a tearass. Around 6-7, they start to love to be cuddled with. If you don't already have some, get some Ferretvite to mix in with its food. That will bulk it up and keep it healthy. They love Ferretvite, so I mix it with the food so they have to eat the ferret food (and not pick around the fod for the Ferretvite). If there is cat food around the house, they typically make a B-line to that instead of their own food (not as much of the good stuff for ferrets in cat food). You can also feed them the Ferretvite straight from the tube. It's like crack.

Good luck with your new family member. Let me know if you have any problems or questions. Ours will usually play with cat toys (especially those with a wand and something that dangles). Since they sleep so much, it is almost exhausting to wear them out (and likely not even a possibility, though I am sometimes a glutton for punishment) ;) . It's better to keep two together because they can keep each other company, but if you have adapted the term 'Little ****(head var.)' already, just imagine two of them running around :D .

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I have no idea how old he is. The reason I broke down was because another teacher at school belongs to the Ferret Rescue here in Maine, and needed a home for him, quick like. She's heard my girls talking about it (Ashlynn was told last year that she had to meet some grade goals to get it).

She never pulled her grades up, so I never bought it. When the lady approached me about it, I was iffy but I knew if anyone could help the little guy, it's Ashlynn. She has a huge heart when it comes to animals... I'm hoping it'll make her a good little mommy too, someday... way, way far into the future... like 20 years or so...

Before we picked him up, we went to Petco and got Ferret Lax, cage items, cedar shavings, cat toys, a hammock, and new food and water bottles. I didn't want to use his old one because it looked awful- I don't think his other owner was very nice to him... it was all moldy.

I'm a sucker for animals in trouble... unless they are fish. Then I'm cool with them dying in someone elses' tank and not spending my $$ on them...

<grin>
Laurie

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BTW GFlat, I am sorry to hear about your little buddy passing on. I hope Khaki lives to be 100...

Laurie

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Arrrgggghhhhhh! He hid one of my diamond earrings, and one that looks like a butterfly...

I wish I knew where to look. Been looking under beds, in cracks...??????

Laurie

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under couches, under computer desks. Just about anywhere he might like to sleep. Khaki builds nests under the couch from newspapers we leave laying on the floor Sunday mornings. They can burgle from a burgler. Don't be surprised to find little surprises when you start flipping over furniture ;) .

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, here I go to flip couches, beds, anything!! I loved those darn earrings. I caught him burgling Bilbo style in my stand alone cabinet. The mate to the earring that was missing was in his hot little mouth... I should have followed him to where he was going with it but I didn't think that fast. :(

In a side note, he also likes to run along the inside track of the 135 hood and stick his paws into the water batting at fish. I'm waiting for the day he goes for a swim... LOL

Laurie

OP
OP
jessiesgrrl

jessiesgrrl

Hasslehoff is NOT Hot!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
His usual position in our house is scarf on a child's shoulder... when he gets a wild hair- it's their new hairstyle for a few hours... Not quite as bad as 'There's Something About Mary' but real close...

LOL
Laurie

Back