OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool that was about my plan. I have some Furan 2 since I read seahorse keepers post on the seahorse first-aid kit and got most of it on hand. Hopefully they eat today

Last edited:
OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well just got some good news the better half called me and said she just tried to feed them lunch and at first they were a little shy but once the yellow one snatched up a mysis the black one followed suit and they both started chowing down. Between both of them they took in almost the entire cube. :)

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well just got some good news the better half called me and said she just tried to feed them lunch and at first they were a little shy but once the yellow one snatched up a mysis the black one followed suit and they both started chowing down. Between both of them they took in almost the entire cube. :)
Sometimes those first few days can be nerve wracking. Its common that they won't eat the first day. Garlic oil to soak the mysis in can entice them sometimes. Its also good to have live food, ghost shrimp, amphipods or artemia just to keep their systems moving.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a little cayno wich sucks but its from us over feeding at first and then starting to vodka dose to help with the excess nutrients. Might have gone a little to aggressive. But on the bright note my ponies came to pose for the camera. I know I picture taking skills have to improve a lot to suck but hey its the best I can do with the crappy camera on my phone. Hoping to pick up a camera this weekend. If the bank account and the better half allow it. I also realize that I did not get a male and female but 2 females (rookies :rolleyes:). So I will be getting 2 more ponies in the next couple weeks.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am now at a loss as to if I have a male/females or what. When I first brought them home the store helper who was a total rookie with seahorses and me who is even more of a rookie had made our best guess at it and thought the black one was male and the yellow was female. Then after more and more and even more research and watching there behavior I started to think maybe they were both females since I could not see and signs of a pouch. But these past few days I am starting to second guess that assumption as the black one has turned yellow almost indenical to its counterpart and they are swimming around holding tails and basically stay next to each other all day long. Rarely leaving each others side. Hope its a sign of things to come guess I will just have to wait and see.

In the mean time both seem to be doing great. Which is good its been a learning curve but it was worth it so far.

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bobman, they both look like girls to me. It can all depend on how old they are however. Sometimes a juvenile seahorse that is 6, 9 months and even a year old can develop a pouch and turn out to be a late blooming male. Also it is not uncommon for same gender ponies to display courting behavior. They are beautiful ponies, I love their color.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont have any new pics sorry been super busy lately. Ponies are still doing great. The tank however needs some love. Since I have been super busy I have not had time to do my regular chores. My better hlaf feeds them but that about it. All it all the tank is fine bt needs a water change since nitrates are up to 8-10 ppm.. The glass needs cleaning. However instead of cleaning the glass I let the better half talk me into buying a 65 gallon tank for them. I guess thats one way to get out of cleaning the glass is to buy another tank lol. Honestly I will have to clean it tomorrow since the tank I am getting is not drilled I am going to drill it and setup a sump. I could use my sump now but I am thinking of going with a 20 long to add some room. The sump I have is a 10 gal and all I really have room for is the skimmer and return pump with a baffle in between. I would really like to add more filtration maybe setup a small refugium. I pick it up tomorrow and hopefully will get some pics tomorrow. Looking forward to the new tank build. She was able to find a brand new 65 gallon tank and stand for 50 bucks. Just cant pass that up. My mom says I am not addicted to saltwater tanks instead I am addicted to building them. She may be right who knows.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didnt get the new tank the guy sold it on me. As I was cleaning the tank I seen something on my glass that was not the typical baby snail or pod. On closer inspection they are flattworms. Acoel appears to the flatworms. They dont appear to be eating my corals or anything. I was thinking of hitting them with flatworm exit but not sure if they stuff is safe for seahorses. Has anyone had issues using flatworm exit?

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I didnt get the new tank the guy sold it on me. As I was cleaning the tank I seen something on my glass that was not the typical baby snail or pod. On closer inspection they are flattworms. Acoel appears to the flatworms. They dont appear to be eating my corals or anything. I was thinking of hitting them with flatworm exit but not sure if they stuff is safe for seahorses. Has anyone had issues using flatworm exit?
Like you I would be afraid of using flatworm exit without a confirmation that it is seahorse safe. Maybe post on the org and see if any of those seahorse keepers have used it. Or pm @Lionfish Lair or @SeahorseKeeper and see what their experience is.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bummer about the 65 but if you are in the market for a new tank and keep your eye out on cragslist and local fish forums I bet you will be able to find a good deal.

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I have done so far makes me question using flatworm exit. I have seen that people have used it in pony tanks with success but the toxins released by the dead flatworms are deadly. I can try to siphon them out but the problem is they are so small I highly doubt I can see them all to siphon them. My sump is really to small for a Filter sock to catch them. Since they are not really bothering anything and not to many of them at this time I am just going to leave them alone. I am thinking of getting a Mandarin Goby mainly because the GF wants one but I also hear they may eat flatworms. So if it does great but if not no biggie.

I also sold myself on getting another tank. That way I have more room for filtration with a bigger tank. Would have been nice to get the 65 but oh well. I am still going to get me a tank and I like the foot print of the 65 so thats what I am aiming for right now just got to find one. Then I will start over with dry rock. Once cycled I can move the ponies over and then nuke this tank with flatworm exit once all flatworms are gone then I will move the corals over. So either way I am going to win this fight either the mandarin eats them or I just setup another tank to get rid of them.

want2bsleepy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From the research I have done so far makes me question using flatworm exit. I have seen that people have used it in pony tanks with success but the toxins released by the dead flatworms are deadly. I can try to siphon them out but the problem is they are so small I highly doubt I can see them all to siphon them. My sump is really to small for a Filter sock to catch them. Since they are not really bothering anything and not to many of them at this time I am just going to leave them alone. I am thinking of getting a Mandarin Goby mainly because the GF wants one but I also hear they may eat flatworms. So if it does great but if not no biggie.

I also sold myself on getting another tank. That way I have more room for filtration with a bigger tank. Would have been nice to get the 65 but oh well. I am still going to get me a tank and I like the foot print of the 65 so thats what I am aiming for right now just got to find one. Then I will start over with dry rock. Once cycled I can move the ponies over and then nuke this tank with flatworm exit once all flatworms are gone then I will move the corals over. So either way I am going to win this fight either the mandarin eats them or I just setup another tank to get rid of them.
our tank that we are setting up for seahorses is a 65. IMO it is the perfect tank for them!

OP
OP
bobman

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed it seems to be a perfect tank. I like the tank they are in but the 24"X24" footprint does not leave much room for filtration a 10 gallon is all I can fit. It works but Wish it was more. That and then the acrylic is a pain not to scratch when cleaning. All in all it is a nice tank though but I am thinking a 65 would be ideal.

I seen your build thread and best of luck to you. Ponies are great it was a learning curve and still is but I would not trade them for anything

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would have liked a 65 gallon but I am quite pleased with the 56 gallon too. My sump is in the basement however and I think the cabinet for the 65 would hold a bigger sump.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 48 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back