Bored today and made an turf Algae scrubber

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was bored today and decided to clean up the fish room and figured today was a good day to finally make one of these turf algae scrubbers to try out.
Nothing pretty, but gets the job done. Didn’t spend no money on this, it’s just stuff I’ve had kicking around for years (plumbing, fittings, pumps, light etc.

Interested to see how it performs

IMG_2772.jpeg IMG_2773.jpeg IMG_2774.jpeg

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest it was an Amazon special. It’s like 3-4 years old. Not even sure what brand it is. Hehe

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checked up on the scrubber today diatoms growing so far so it is starting to grow stuff. No turf algae yet though

Rp8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was bored today and decided to clean up the fish room and figured today was a good day to finally make one of these turf algae scrubbers to try out.
Nothing pretty, but gets the job done. Didn’t spend no money on this, it’s just stuff I’ve had kicking around for years (plumbing, fittings, pumps, light etc.

Interested to see how it performs

IMG_2772.jpeg IMG_2773.jpeg IMG_2774.jpeg

What kinda box did you use? Got any drawings or plans you can share? I picked up this light to diy one
IMG_1911.png

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into this for a couple of days now as well. Thinking of using a cheap black trash can from Walmart for the box. Just turn it upside down so water flows into the sump, cut out a square for a light, and drill some holes for the pipes. Not 100% sure about it though as that would make cleaning a PITA.

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kinda box did you use? Got any drawings or plans you can share? I picked up this light to diy one
IMG_1911.png
That’s the exact light actually. Completely forgot the brand, you just refreshed my memory haha.

I used a 2.5L dosing container I had kicking around to make the box.

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been looking into this for a couple of days now as well. Thinking of using a cheap black trash can from Walmart for the box. Just turn it upside down so water flows into the sump, cut out a square for a light, and drill some holes for the pipes. Not 100% sure about it though as that would make cleaning a PITA.
Seems like it would be too large that way.
I would just look for a small tote or acrylic box or even a small aquarium and paint it black maybe ?

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like it would be too large that way.
I would just look for a small tote or acrylic box or even a small aquarium and paint it black maybe ?

I found a 2 gallon black trash can at WalMart that is rectangular and looks like it would work quite well. Just not sure how to go about making cleaning easier. Alas I'm working on a tight budget and the acrylic boxes I've found were just too expensive--at least the ones around here. I didn't check online places as you never know what you are actually getting until it's too late.

I've got a 75g tank and a 40g sump (with maybe 20g of that in use). If the calculations I've seen online are correct I need about a 12" x 12" screen. Still not quite sure how I'm going to fit something that large in the sump. Might have to make a separate unit outside the tank.

OP
OP
Mechano

Mechano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found a 2 gallon black trash can at WalMart that is rectangular and looks like it would work quite well. Just not sure how to go about making cleaning easier. Alas I'm working on a tight budget and the acrylic boxes I've found were just too expensive--at least the ones around here. I didn't check online places as you never know what you are actually getting until it's too late.

I've got a 75g tank and a 40g sump (with maybe 20g of that in use). If the calculations I've seen online are correct I need about a 12" x 12" screen. Still not quite sure how I'm going to fit something that large in the sump. Might have to make a separate unit outside the tank.
Yeah that’s the kicker. They do take up room for sure

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 118 42.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 95 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.8%
Back