Bought a tank with corals. Please help identify

PStergiou78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought this 12g nanocube tank yesterday, it was very dirty, did a water change and good cleaning of all media and walls, it looked as if it wasn't cleaned in months. In the tank is this overgrown Zoa of some type (I think . . I'm just starting corals), it looks as if some branchy leather corals as wrll., Not sure. I found there was a living damsel in there as well. When I cleaned the media, there were a bunch of what I believe to be as bristle worms. The reason I bought it was to learn fragging, and practice. Suggestions on what this type of coral could be, what to do with this tank, and will this damsel be ok? I need to check the parameters tonight, as cleaning it took a long time. Please help !
IMG_20180625_223834.jpeg
IMG_20180625_223812.jpeg
IMG_20180625_223805.jpeg
IMG_20180625_223801.jpeg
MVIMG_20180625_223758.jpeg

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They resemble majano anemones, this would explain the overgrowth. I have never seen Zoas spawn in any tank like that where they just attach to the glass.
I could be wrong but that would be my guess from the pictures. If they are in fact Majanos, I would tear it apart and COMPLETELY start over..
my .02

OP
OP
P

PStergiou78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They resemble majano anemones, this would explain the overgrowth. I have never seen Zoas spawn in any tank like that where they just attach to the glass.
I could be wrong but that would be my guess from the pictures. If they are in fact Majanos, I would tear it apart and COMPLETELY start over..
my .02

Thanks! I mean I do like how it looks, what do you think would happen if I left it as is? I was reading to get some types of fish that will eat them. Racoon butterfly, copper band butterfly, and stunning beauty.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy that will be one happy fat fish!!!
Honestly, If you are not planning on adding any more corals and like that look then I would leave it. I actually think they are cool looking too but they will overgrow and kill everything else in your tank. I think that is why the leathers look shriveled..

OP
OP
P

PStergiou78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy that will be one happy fat fish!!!
Honestly, If you are not planning on adding any more corals and like that look then I would leave it. I actually think they are cool looking too but they will overgrow and kill everything else in your tank. I think that is why the leathers look shriveled..
Yea, I think I'll keep as is. How would I take the leather off? Take off the anemones and put in a tank by itself? Too worries to put in my main tank!!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back