Breaking Down an Aquarium

Middle School Teacher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm a school teacher and I put up an aquarium in my classroom. Its a 32 gallon bow front. I have two plecos, two hill stream loach, lots of shrimp, and some guppies. I want to bring them home with me for the summer and keep them in a tank there. Do I need to remove all of the sand too or can I leave the sand and just take out the water? I have almost 3 inches of sand and it can get really heavy.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to your new home for saltwater reef aquarium resources and fun! Welcome to the family! :D
welcome-home-logo-greeting-png.1484246

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a bit confused by the wording here... Do you want to move the entire tank home? or just relocate the fish to a tank you already have at home? (I read it as the latter, but then read @Buckster 's post and it sounds as if they got the impression you'll be moving the tank too...)

I assume the goal is to bring them back next school year and be able to get the tank back up and running before the school year? If so, just drain out all of the water, let the rest evaporate, the sand will dry out, and maybe when you return in the fall fill it back up and do a few water changes with it fallow to get rid of anything that died off while you were away...

YReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I'm a school teacher and I put up an aquarium in my classroom. Its a 32 gallon bow front. I have two plecos, two hill stream loach, lots of shrimp, and some guppies. I want to bring them home with me for the summer and keep them in a tank there. Do I need to remove all of the sand too or can I leave the sand and just take out the water? I have almost 3 inches of sand and it can get really heavy.
welcome aboard

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 36 19.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 139 74.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.8%
Back