Brightwell phosphate-E

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not exactly sure, having read every single article on Lan that I could find but I did see that figure referenced more than once. I'll see if I can dig up the source.
Do you have any info on this Randy?

I have no idea what size particles are made. But I am certain it’s a wide range of sizes. It is quite hard to make solids of uniform particle size.

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a little AIO tank so cannot add to a 5 micron sock and having had monumental phosphate levels at 1.89! I dosed 3ml every other day for a week and it’s currently at 0.25, as I’m changing tanks this month I’m not going to take it much lower, I’m hoping to use the rock that’s in this tank in the sump of the new one so I did want it at a much lower level from where it started but happy to keep it around 0.2 then I’ll look at it closer in the new tank, both I’ll add are/will be Fowlr tanks for now, not seem any I’ll effects from dosing this way so far

Dweingar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed nitrates going up after dosing phosphat-e?
Dosed 5ml in 40g and phosphate went from 2.41 to 1.69 and Nitrate went from 13.5 to 26.1.

This was my first use of product.

Wondering if I had a bad reading on my nitrate or if others have experienced this.

TLCarrico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chart (or formula) that approximates the time in which a dose of Phosphat-E is fully utilized – meaning it has lowered the tank's phosphate as much as it is going to do so. This information would be helpful so I’m not adding a second dose before the first dose has been exhausted.

Below are my calculations covering three hours.
  • 12:35 – My readings for phosphate, pH, alk, and nitrate using Hanna Checkers
  • 12:40 – I dosed 2.25ml of Phosphat-E to the top of a bonded filter pad which flows into a 100-micron polishing filter pad, then a second 100-micron polishing filter pad, polyfill, and more bonded filter pad, then to the return pump, tank, and then through the overflow into a skimmer.
  • Readings at 1:40, 2:40, and 3:40.
1709262742964.png

By my calculations, a 2.25ml dose of Phosphat-E should reduce my phosphates by .3 leaving .02, assuming no new phosphate is released from the rocks, sand, etc.

In hindsight, a better test would have been to put new saltwater into a clean/empty container and spike it with NeoPhos and NeoNitrate. Before going to this trouble, I wanted to check with the group as I’m sure this information is out there somewhere.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone noticed nitrates going up after dosing phosphat-e?
Dosed 5ml in 40g and phosphate went from 2.41 to 1.69 and Nitrate went from 13.5 to 26.1.

This was my first use of product.

Wondering if I had a bad reading on my nitrate or if others have experienced this.

Old, I know, but are those phosphate values ppm? if so, I cannot see a reason for the nitrate decline.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a chart (or formula) that approximates the time in which a dose of Phosphat-E is fully utilized – meaning it has lowered the tank's phosphate as much as it is going to do so. This information would be helpful so I’m not adding a second dose before the first dose has been exhausted.

Below are my calculations covering three hours.
  • 12:35 – My readings for phosphate, pH, alk, and nitrate using Hanna Checkers
  • 12:40 – I dosed 2.25ml of Phosphat-E to the top of a bonded filter pad which flows into a 100-micron polishing filter pad, then a second 100-micron polishing filter pad, polyfill, and more bonded filter pad, then to the return pump, tank, and then through the overflow into a skimmer.
  • Readings at 1:40, 2:40, and 3:40.
1709262742964.png

By my calculations, a 2.25ml dose of Phosphat-E should reduce my phosphates by .3 leaving .02, assuming no new phosphate is released from the rocks, sand, etc.

In hindsight, a better test would have been to put new saltwater into a clean/empty container and spike it with NeoPhos and NeoNitrate. Before going to this trouble, I wanted to check with the group as I’m sure this information is out there somewhere.

No, but it will be fast. Minutes, maybe an hour, not days.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back