Bristle Worm? Smashed soft Coral.

nloureg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone, newbie on reef tanks here, I had freshwater tanks for several years and now I decided to start a nano reef.

I got these rock with these corals and:

Is this a bristle worm on the first photo? I think that this area on the second photo, got smashed while it was being transported, do you guys think it's gonna be good? It's already dead? It's too early to say? Should I extract this part out of the tank? What coral Is it? The green one I think it's pally.

Thank you guys for your attention.

1000007074.jpg

1000007079.jpg

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, that is a bristle worm next to the hermit crab.
That specific coral will likely be fine, even if some of the polyps were to die, the remainder would likely repopulate quickly.
I would just leave it alone.
Some type of "star" or "clove" polyp.
Yes that looks to be a "nuclear green" or similar palythoa.

Upvote 1

reefsaver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms are vastly misunderstood creatures in the aquarium trade. They're infact amazing cleanup crew and will help process detritus and waste cleaning your tank. They have drawbacks like potentially annoying coral slightly ocasionally but it's nothing coral hasn't seen in the actual ocean. It's like if you're a soft coral and you feel too much pressure from something, you might quickly recede but I very much doubt Bristle worms will cause any major Coral losses. I think they would if anything protect them from nutrient overload as they act as another organism in your environment on the food chain, some fish like 6 line wrasse will eat them and there you go, self sustaining food culture. I only say this because I always kinda hated them too but it was always unwarranted.

Upvote 2
OP
OP
nloureg

nloureg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that is a bristle worm next to the hermit crab.
That specific coral will likely be fine, even if some of the polyps were to die, the remainder would likely repopulate quickly.
I would just leave it alone.
Some type of "star" or "clove" polyp.
Yes that looks to be a "nuclear green" or similar palythoa.
Thank you for your help, I'm gonna leave it alone, today more polyps got up. My concern was that it was too much dead organic material and could mess with my parameters, but thank you for your help, I'll observe and leave it.

Bristle worms are vastly misunderstood creatures in the aquarium trade. They're infact amazing cleanup crew and will help process detritus and waste cleaning your tank. They have drawbacks like potentially annoying coral slightly ocasionally but it's nothing coral hasn't seen in the actual ocean. It's like if you're a soft coral and you feel too much pressure from something, you might quickly recede but I very much doubt Bristle worms will cause any major Coral losses. I think they would if anything protect them from nutrient overload as they act as another organism in your environment on the food chain, some fish like 6 line wrasse will eat them and there you go, self sustaining food culture. I only say this because I always kinda hated them too but it was always unwarranted.
I was reading about it, i like this little ecosystem, that variety of animals that make it work but I'll observe to control their population. I was thinking to get a Pseudochromis fridmani to control bristle worms a little bit and because this fish is really beatiful. I have a lot of places for it to hide but it's only 10g tank with 2 ocellaris, 1 neon goby, 3 pappermint shrimps, 3 paguros. What do you guys think? He will be good?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
nloureg

nloureg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help, I'm gonna leave it alone, today more polyps got up. My concern was that it was too much dead organic material and could mess with my parameters, but thank you for your help, I'll observe and leave it.

I was reading about it, i like this little ecosystem, that variety of animals that make it work but I'll observe to control their population. I was thinking to get a Pseudochromis fridmani to control bristle worms a little bit and because this fish is really beatiful. I have a lot of places for it to hide but it's only 10g tank with 2 ocellaris, 1 neon goby, 3 pappermint shrimps, 3 paguros. What do you guys think? He will be good?
Thank you guys for your attention, It already was really helpful.

Upvote 0

Tub Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not a real reefer until you've picked bristles out of your fingers lol.
When I had a sandbed I had tons of bristleworms. Great clean up crew. I typically removed the ones that got earth worm sized. Without sand, the population is much smaller I find.

Upvote 1

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I would not add any more fish to this 10 gallon tank.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
nloureg

nloureg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You're not a real reefer until you've picked bristles out of your fingers lol.
When I had a sandbed I had tons of bristleworms. Great clean up crew. I typically removed the ones that got earth worm sized. Without sand, the population is much smaller I find.
Hahaha, Nice, i don't want to remove them too, that's true, i'm gonna do it.

I would not add any more fish to this 10 gallon tank.
Ok, Thank you guys for your help, I'll get a bigger tank before adding new fish.

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back