Bristletooth Tang - White spots overnight

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi vetteguy53081,

Thank you for responding. I never noticed him scratching or having lethargic behavior, he mostly just seemed stressed. I didn't observe anything in the FW during/after the dip but now that the tang is in the QT and I can observe up close; he has white objects attached to him (lightly more oval than round, hanging off) and large patches of skin discoloration. He isn't swimming erratically or into the direct path of the powerhead like he was in the DT. I just fed him some brine with Metro+Focus and am watching with anxiety.

Edit: His skin looks almost slimy and raised/pitted in areas. :(
if you are describing wart-like nodules, can be lymphocystis which is viral.
In addition to brine, try to add LRS Herbivore diet, mysis shrimp and nori seaweed basted with garlic extract.

OP
OP
T

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you are describing wart-like nodules, can be lymphocystis which is viral.
In addition to brine, try to add LRS Herbivore diet, mysis shrimp and nori seaweed basted with garlic extract.
Okay. I have Rod's Herbivore, mysis, and nori on hand. I usually vary their diet every day/2. Is it odd that the Clownfish and blenny show no signs of disease? I'm worried that perhaps it is flukes and the copper/metro isn't going to do anything. Should I add PraziPro to the QT? The tang already seems less stressed in the QT, he's swimming around and checking out the heaters/2 small rocks.

Edit: Looked up some pictures of lymphocystis; the white spots/strings aren't quite that big. It really looks more like his skin is peeling off, just in different sized patched/pieces.

OP
OP
T

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is not ich or velvet. Sound like flukes. Have you treated with Prazipro?
Here are pictures today right after a FW bath, which seem to help a lot. You can see the white patches on his skin in one photo. Should I dose PraziPro with Cupramine in the QT, just to be safe? Or will this be too much for him? Really appreciate everyone's help.

OP
OP
T

tyguy1482

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Update: He is doing great! I ended up dosing PraziPro, which seems to be killing his appetite (hasn't eaten in 3 days) but all his marks are gone and his color/energy is returning. I will try some mysis/nori mixed with garlic juice today.

I also have RRR on hand for dips now.
Since I am still unsure of what this is, I am going to go fallow for 90 days at 82F.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 63 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 51 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 39 20.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back