Bristletooth Tang with spikes out casually

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
White Tail.jpg

Nothing to do here, but my White Tail is cruising around the tank with his spikes out, open carry if you will. The rest of his demeanor is normal, and non-threatening. Is this a thing? I've not seen it before, with this or other tangs.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice white tail!

I don't know, honestly. In the tangs I've kept, it seems to be really random whose spikes stick out and whose don't. Now sometimes, there can be an injury like being caught in a net that causes a spike to stick out. How long have you had it, and has it always been like this?

tbone28

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting, my white tail exhibits the same behavior. Chill as can be but "ready"

OP
OP
Spicoli

Spicoli

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice white tail!

I don't know, honestly. In the tangs I've kept, it seems to be really random whose spikes stick out and whose don't. Now sometimes, there can be an injury like being caught in a net that causes a spike to stick out. How long have you had it, and has it always been like this?
I'v had him in DT for a month and in QT for 2 months prior. He always had his blades flat to his body until i noticed this yesterday. He is doing it again today. He had no net damage etc. You can see both sides are sticking out. He just likes to show off I suppose.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a neurological injury. Mechanical injury will only result in problem of one side or the other. (certainly, extremely rare to nearly non existent rare to happen on both sides at the same time)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 29 36.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 10 12.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 25 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 17.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back