Brown algae

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tanks about 8 months old now, have about 6 fish and a couple corals. My alk was around 5 so I started bionic about 2 weeks ago now it's at about 9. The problem is I am getting a brown algae bloom and was wondering if it's maybe an effect of the bionic. Some of my other parameters are
Nitrate-5
Po4- 9
ca- 430

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tanks about 8 months old now, have about 6 fish and a couple corals. My alk was around 5 so I started bionic about 2 weeks ago now it's at about 9. The problem is I am getting a brown algae bloom and was wondering if it's maybe an effect of the bionic. Some of my other parameters are
Nitrate-5
Po4- 9
ca- 430
Your Phosphate is up, how much are you feeding and are you using RO/DI water? How much and how often are you doing water changes?

OP
OP
T

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half cube mysis half brine twice a day, rodi, 15% weekly

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Half cube mysis half brine twice a day, rodi, 15% weekly
So I understand this correctly, 1/2 cube mysis and 1/2 cube brine shrimp twice a day, so almost two full cubes a day?

OP
OP
T

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea of total food, I used to feed once then got a couple of anthias, so stepped up the feeding

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two full cubes a day may be a bit much...I had 5 fish, and they got 1/2 a cube a day.

OP
OP
T

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I'll reduce feeding, I just asked the question cause this algae started basically when I started the bionic

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bionic doesn't add any nutrients to the system so it's likely not that causing any sort of bloom.

Ok, that's a big difference between .09 to 9. That's a little high but not incredibly high. I'd target .03 or so and see if that limits the growth of the algae. Have you looked at the dino thread? It may be dinos which wouldn't respond well to lowering the nutrients. Try and poke around in the algae forums and see if you can help self identify the stuff. Or... post a photo?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate-5
Po4- 9
ca- 430

It's not the B-ionic, assuming you mean the ESV two part calcium and alkalinity system.

Where is the algae growing, and what does it look like?

Do you use tap water?

OP
OP
T

Themako1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tap water, it's on the sand and rocks, it's almost like brown hair algae, the Tricia's snails and urchin eat it, just want to solve the problem and not get a bunch more snails

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tap water, it's on the sand and rocks, it's almost like brown hair algae, the Tricia's snails and urchin eat it, just want to solve the problem and not get a bunch more snails

Nutrient export. Do you run a refugium?

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back