Brown Gunk in All for Reef

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
New bottle of All for Reef was sitting in storage for a month. Opened it to use and it has a ton of brown gunk in it. Not impressed, but apparently according to TM,

“The fuzzy growth that you see is not unusual. While we don’t like to see this happening, the All-For-Reef is produced under methods that are not 100% sterile. This means that, with the organic compounds in the product, you will sometimes see the growth of some bacteria (beneficial 100% safe bacteria) in the solution. This fuzzy stuff is completely harmless, even if it were to be transferred into you tank system. The product is still absolutely safe to use.”

Have a nano tank, and wouldn’t expect a new product to be “tainted” (or at least that’s how I characterize it). Anyone have this happen to them and use it regardless? Any negative effects?

IMG_6694.jpeg IMG_6693.jpeg

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This stuff is unlikely to be bacteria and more likely to be fungal. It’s unlikely that it would translate to major issues in your tank but I wouldn’t put it in my tank. I buy the powder version of it and mix it myself with RODI.

OP
OP
C

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This stuff is unlikely to be bacteria and more likely to be fungal. It’s unlikely that it would translate to major issues in your tank but I wouldn’t put it in my tank. I buy the powder version of it and mix it myself with RODI.
Thanks. First time seeing this out of 4ish bottles I’ve already gone though over several months. No idea what it is, but for the time being, definetly won’t be using it since I have a nano and things can go south pretty quick. Bummer that it’s in a couple brand new bottles.

Anyone else?

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would just strain it in a fine micron mesh. Do you keep the bottles in a cool dark place? It almost looks like a algae. I use the powder AFR. But if you don’t want it anymore I will put it in my tank...

OP
OP
C

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I would just strain it in a fine micron mesh. Do you keep the bottles in a cool dark place? It almost looks like an algae. I use the powder AFR. But if you don’t want it anymore I will put it in my tank...
Yes, bottles are kept in a cool, dry, dark place. If I end up chucking them, I’ll let you know

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used powder and did not see that. But I had stuff grow in my salt water mixing tank at one point, looking similar to what you have.
Unfortunately with these products since they have lot of trace elements things will find a way to grow in them. Also based on this you know TM is not using preservatives so that is good news.
My interpretation is, some trace elements have been consumed. The Alk, Calcium and MG is still there (corals are not growing in there) so just use strainer as mentioned and use the clear liquid.
Alternatively add the bacteria to your tank, it might add to your biodiversity or die or gets eaten by corals.

I would use it.

OP
OP
C

Coral Your World

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks @Pod_01. Other than adding biodiversity or dying or getting eaten by corals, even the slightest chance that this could be harmful in any way, or you think absolutely no way it could be harmful?

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Pod_01. Other than adding biodiversity or dying or getting eaten by corals, even the slightest chance that this could be harmful in any way, or you think absolutely no way it could be harmful?
I think what is all ready in the tank is probably lot more harmful. Coral warfare etc… those things are chemicals factories…

I think it is fine, but that is just my opinion.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back