Brown spot on Tang

webmelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I introduced a captive breed Regal Tang after 30 day copper, prazi and metro qt. Now brown discoloration spots on both sides of its body. First Photo below.

After about 40 minutes both spots got smaller. Second photo. Just scrapes?

Anyone smarter than me have any thoughts?

C84AFF52-4BD3-489E-B8F9-67CADBAD51EE.jpeg
5EE49762-8194-4D45-AB71-67E4A5B22461.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It would be really helpful - to try to get pictures under white light. Are the sores in the same place on both sides? That would mitigate against injury. However the clearest side (picture wise) - seems like an injury?

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night I introduced a captive breed Regal Tang after 30 day copper, prazi and metro qt. Now brown discoloration spots on both sides of its body. First Photo below.

What other fish are in with this one? When I see marks like this, my first thought is a tail strike from another tang.

Jay

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Tail strike injury which is not uncommon with other tangs in tank and Hepatus does not defend itself well as other tangs do. Hopefully this is a one time occurrence and if so will heal on its own.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
W

webmelton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be really helpful - to try to get pictures under white light. Are the sores in the same place on both sides? That would mitigate against injury. However the clearest side (picture wise) - seems like an injury?
I have tried, but little guy won’t cooperate. They are in different locations on each side.

Upvote 0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'scalple' near the tail fin of most Tangs acts like a cutting blow when hit against a threat, territorial dispute, or to establish dominance. It isn't that uncommon in a community tank with multiple Tang species.

The photos you provided show an injury. Maybe a tail strike, or damage from handling. The fish will heal, but you'll need to check for aggression.

Aggressors are usually more assertive during a feeding, but not while around you necessarily. Set your smartphone/camera up to record a 30 min video. Then add food to the tank. Leave immediately after adding the food, and totally keep everyone out of sight. Check the video later to see if there are any signs of aggression.

Feed the best foods you can as recommended in the Fish Health Rough Proper Nutrition post.

Update us when you can.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a purple tang. I have never heard of tail strikes.

Tangs are also known as "surgeonfish". They have a sharp spine at the base of their tail that they can use to fight with other tangs. One flip of the tail from the purple tang can cause an injury like this, and you likely never see it happen. You *might* see some aggressive posturing - where one tang swim up to another one and spreads its fins and shakes a bit. This is a warning display.

Jay

Upvote 0

Reef_Ninjas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 'scalple' near the tail fin of most Tangs acts like a cutting blow when hit against a threat, territorial dispute, or to establish dominance. It isn't that uncommon in a community tank with multiple Tang species.

The photos you provided show an injury. Maybe a tail strike, or damage from handling. The fish will heal, but you'll need to check for aggression.

Aggressors are usually more assertive during a feeding, but not while around you necessarily. Set your smartphone/camera up to record a 30 min video. Then add food to the tank. Leave immediately after adding the food, and totally keep everyone out of sight. Check the video later to see if there are any signs of aggression.

Feed the best foods you can as recommended in the Fish Health Rough Proper Nutrition post.

Update us when you can.

Tangs are also known as "surgeonfish". They have a sharp spine at the base of their tail that they can use to fight with other tangs. One flip of the tail from the purple tang can cause an injury like this, and you likely never see it happen. You *might* see some aggressive posturing - where one tang swim up to another one and spreads its fins and shakes a bit. This is a warning display.

Jay

I just had this happen where my mimic tang escaped acclimation box and my white bristletooth beat him up pretty bad. His eye looked shattered partly and a bunch of side wounds. I caught him and out him back in the box but want to make sure I don’t need to do anything additional.

Upvote 0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just had this happen where my mimic tang escaped acclimation box and my white bristletooth beat him up pretty bad. His eye looked shattered partly and a bunch of side wounds. I caught him and out him back in the box but want to make sure I don’t need to do anything additional.
It depends on how serious the damage is. There is a risk of secondary bacterial infection. Can you post a picture?
Jay

Upvote 0

Weeb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once an average temperament Tang has established itself in a tank, adding another Tang is often a disaster. There are Tangs that chill and will be okay with an addition, but they are not the norm. Adding Tangs together is the best approach to keeping multiple Tangs, IME.

Upvote 0

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 189 71.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 19 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 50 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.6%
Back