BRS 100w Titanium Heaters: As Bad As The Reviews Say?

OldRed1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the process of gathering equipment for my first build. LFS recommended two 100w titanium heaters for my 25g AIO for redundancy. In researching heaters, I came across the reviews on BRS for their 100w heater, and the reviews are TERRIBLE. Is this just small but vocal set of reviews, or are these heaters as bad as advertised? Do you have recommendations for a different 100w titanium heater? If so, I am all ears!

BrandonS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for titanium I have always heard finnex is good. Have not had and direct experience however. I am a big glass tube ehiem guy myself. The other thing to is some people just change there heaters out every year or two just to avoid any chance of issue. If your going to be one of those then I wouldn't worry to much. If not i'd get reviews from as many sources as possible. There is also longevity as The BRS heaters haven't been around for 10 years at this point. So you don't have much long term data. some please correct me if I am wrong.

noobster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking at the BRS reviews, looks like the bulk of those 1 star reviews are from the last 6 months. Maybe the BRS titanium heaters had a change in suppliers or something.

Funny enough, I had a BRS heater that I bought in Sept 2021 that failed within a month or two...but I got it replaced under warranty from them and that has been going strong since. I do run two elements though, but once their warranty goes out, I may look into another brand.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 200w heaters, 2 of them running right now that I bought at the end of last year and have had 0 issues with them.

nudave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had 2 of these go in one year. First one lasted 7 months, the replacement 5 months. Now running an Eheim with no problems.

TurboTang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought their 300W Ti heater and controller in Aug 2020. Not a single problem - would definitely recommend it

ZombieEngineer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The main problem I have with them is there is no temperature controller built in. I don't want to risk my reef to a single heater controller. I always control my heaters with my apex and set the heaters a couple degrees higher as a failsafe. A few times a year I will verify that the thermal element is still working.

I will stick with eheim. The basic titanium works great and is half the price. A quarter the price if you factor in the heater controller. My eheims have had one failure out of 7 heaters in the span of 8 years.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The 200 and 600w versions have issues that BRS is looking into. The 100 and 300w versions have a very, very low failure rate.

I've got 5 BRS heaters running (all 300 or 100w) and not a single failure in over 2 years.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Honestly I would never buy something with those reviews.

That's why I started this thread. I bought them before the long-term reviews started pouring in.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Had 2 of these go in one year. First one lasted 7 months, the replacement 5 months. Now running an Eheim with no problems.

Do you remember the wattage of the units that went bad on you?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 33.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%

Back