BRS 2-part dosing prices

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

View Badges
Exactly. $20 per gallon according to you. BRS is $5.71 a gallon. 20 is greater than 5

You can get BRS in 1 gallon increments as well. They don't sniff $20 per gallon.
BRS need to buy both part each 35lbs is 400 dollars .200 for calcium 200 for soda ash alk.400 dollars for both parts.11.42 per gallon for BRS/ aquacave cheaper on 2 part

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
BRS need to buy both part each 35lbs is 400 dollars .200 for calcium 200 for soda ash alk.400 dollars for both parts.

Yep and they're still $5/gallon. Doesn't matter if you buy 1000 gallons. It's still $5/gallon.

BRS single gallon is $9/gallon. That's still half the cost of your $20/gallon you keep bringing up

View Badges
Yep and they're still $5/gallon. Doesn't matter if you buy 1000 gallons. It's still $5/gallon.

BRS single gallon is $9/gallon. That's still half the cost of your $20/gallon you keep bringing up
Need both parts 11.42 per gallon/ if single gallon is 9 dollars you need both 2 part cost now is 18 dollars around same price as saltwateraquarium but aquacave is cheaper then them.

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Need both parts 11.42 per gallon/ if single gallon is 9 dollars you need both 2 part cost now is 18 dollars around same price as saltwateraquarium but aquacave is cheaper then them.

You said SWA is $40 for both parts. $18 is not close to $40.

Which is it?

Beau_B

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS need to buy both part each 35lbs is 400 dollars .200 for calcium 200 for soda ash alk.400 dollars for both parts.11.42 per gallon for BRS/ aquacave cheaper on 2 part

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

(2x$200) / (2x35lb) is not $11.42/gal… it would be $5.71/lb.

We have been interchanging Lb and Gal, but it’s close for Randy’s recipe and BRS.

However ESV (and some others) are more concentrated, utilizing 60% volume compared to BRS, so it isn’t interchangeable and works out to something like $8/gal.

EDIT: Actually the calcium is more concentrated, I haven’t looked at ALK; just assuming they are to be dosed evenly.

Buy what works for you.

Last edited:

View Badges

We have been interchanging Lb and Gal, but it’s close for Randy’s recipe and BRS.

However ESV (and some others) are more concentrated, utilizing 60% volume compared to BRS, so it isn’t interchangeable and works out to something like $8/gal.

EDIT: Actually the calcium is more concentrated, I haven’t looked at ALK; just assuming they are to be dosed evenly.

Buy what works for you.
You need both parts

Buy what works for you.

View Badges
Buy baking soda and cook it ,there's the answer 50lbs for 60 dollars.now why is big companies so high because it has there name on it..lol

Last edited by a moderator:

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I followed Beau_B's lead on the FritzPro Sodium Carbonate (soda ash) as an alternative. $72.25 for 40lbs. vs. BRS $199.99 for 35lbs. It was shipped today from Amazon. (It showed out of stock when I ordered, but only took a week).

Link to Fritz site:

SDS:

1649595251618.png

Last edited:

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's amazing how people want to shift/redirect the reason for all this inflation to the middle man such as BRS. When in fact I would be willing to bet most all of you know who is actually to blame. But you don't want to admit that alot of you had a hand in it . Anybody who couldn't see this comming should be embarrassed.
This man dropping FACTS

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the tone but honestly I'm not quite sure I understand your point? Are you saying due to pursuing alternatives the price is going up? Or we are responsible for government policy that has created this quagmire? We owe nothing to BRS or any other business, that would be absurd. All of my wittings have been about finding other solutions which is part of the hobby, I owe as much loyalty to BRS as I do to Target. We are customers and nothing more. I do not doubt that inflation, shipping etc. hit them, but I believe that a significant piece of the pricing is that they now have overlords (Investment bankers / venture capitalists) If you don't believe the investment group is pulling financial strings that would be naïve. Like others I've worked with VC's and there is race to high profitability where possible....that's what they do. The cost of alternatives have not doubled, BRS has....does that imply something?

VC firms take big money from investors that can sit tight with no returns and have their money tied up, probably in this case 3-4 years with idea of showing a business with good revenues, cash flow and solid profitability at the end of that term. They then cash out never to be seen again. If you don't believe they will constantly look for the thresholds in product pricing to find their sweet spot again your kidding yourself, we are all the guinea pigs.

All that being said I do have respect for Ryan as his crew as they are to a large extent hobbyists, but they're also an online business, not a brick and mortar operation for which I will make accommodation.

Sorry to get off topic, but I couldn't help myself.
Yes, yes. Venture capital to blame for public equity companies like Mcdonald’s prices being up 50%, gas prices roughly 100% since the fall of 2020 (and before the Russian war in Ukraine), etc. I could go on and on but I won’t. You worked with VC people? Must have been the janitor in the building….

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, yes. Venture capital to blame for public equity companies like Mcdonald’s prices being up 50%, gas prices roughly 100% since the fall of 2020 (and before the Russian war in Ukraine), etc. I could go on and on but I won’t. You worked with VC people? Must have been the janitor in the building….
Actually I'm a retired Sr. Dir. of Processing Engineering and Operations from Seagate and I was involved with of taking Seagate private with the private equity firm Silver Lake Partners, then public again. I've tried to keep my tone neutral (except this one post, my bad) ...no need for personal attacks. Just doing relative comparisons for the same commodity in the current time frame. (McDonald's to Culver's) . But, I would say if you don't believe me, pm me, and I'll provide you a link to my LinkedIn page.

VC's will attempt to 'optimize a business' for the reasons stated, such that they can take a company public, most typically, at the end of the process. They're not evil by any means, they are just very shrewd businessmen. Also, as noted I'm not discounting inflation and supply chain issues that is definitely a piece of pricing issues, and a huge issue in general.

PS: I know some very smart janitors. As my dad once sincerely said..."you can learn a lot from a ditch digger".

Last edited:

skyrne_isk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I'm a retired Sr. Dir. of Processing Engineering and Operations from Seagate and I was involved with of taking Seagate private with the private equity firm Silver Lake Partners, then public again. I've tried to keep my tone neutral (except this one post, my bad) ...no need for personal attacks.
It’s cool man. I will skip including my bona fides because it’s boring and who really cares, but all of my degrees are in business competencies as well as all my professional experience. But your background checks out, because your take doesn’t strike me as a finance/accounting/econ guy. And turns out you aren’t.

And I agree on the ditch diggers - but will add “and I’ve known some pretty dumb doctors in my time.” I learned some years ago not to confuse many years of study on a particular topic with being overall a bright person.

BigMax

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s cool man. I will skip including my bona fides because it’s boring and who really cares, but all of my degrees are in business competencies as well as all my professional experience. But your background checks out, because your take doesn’t strike me as a finance/accounting/econ guy. And turns out you aren’t.

And I agree on the ditch diggers - but will add “and I’ve known some pretty dumb doctors in my time.” I learned some years ago not to confuse many years of study on a particular topic with being overall a bright person.
All is good....Along with my engineering degree I have a business minor...does that count? ;) It's funny how things go sidewise on all social sites. I think I'll stick to reading the chemistry forums and articles where controversy is kept to a minimum and I can just read, and not comment other than to ask questions and learn.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

• A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back