BRS CO2 scrubber question Simplicity skimmer

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Raleigh, NC, United States, north carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So dumb question. If i bypass the silencer and control valve, and install the BRS scrubber directly to the intake down below, wouldnt that mean i can no longer control if i have a wet or dry skim? The air screw thing is how i have always changed from wet to dry or even raise and lower my foam level. Putting a CO2 scrubber means i can no longer do that right? is there any way to hookup the scrubber and keep that screw thing? i think you guys call it the silencer cup? But you want me to do this?
1710268035391.png

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that skimmer but I believe it has a DC controllable pump. Many top brand DC skimmers do not have a control valve for the air intake. In simple basic terms the amount of air is controlled by increasing or decreasing the speed of the DC pump and the standpipe along with the pump speed is used for controlling the water level in the skimmer body. I am assuming that skimmer having an adjustable air valve gives you a fine adjustment ability to control airflow. If that is the case and an air flow valve is actually necessary for that skimmer you could bypass the factory silencer/air intake and install a airline flow valve somewhere in the tubing going from the scrubber discharge to the skimmer venturi.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not familiar with that skimmer but I believe it has a DC controllable pump. Many top brand DC skimmers do not have a control valve for the air intake. In simple basic terms the amount of air is controlled by increasing or decreasing the speed of the DC pump and the standpipe along with the pump speed is used for controlling the water level in the skimmer body. I am assuming that skimmer having an adjustable air valve gives you a fine adjustment ability to control airflow. If that is the case and an air flow valve is actually necessary for that skimmer you could bypass the factory silencer/air intake and install a airline flow valve somewhere in the tubing going from the scrubber discharge to the skimmer venturi.
ahh. you are correct it is DC. and i know that will control the overall air and water intake, but the fine control valve is how i made my skim wet or dry.

i was thinking that i could use the intake side of the scrubber that just sits open, and put a 3/8" tube and ball valve on that intake side of the scrubber. wouldnt that let me control the air going in?

1710271562605.png

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ahh. you are correct it is DC. and i know that will control the overall air and water intake, but the fine control valve is how i made my skim wet or dry.

i was thinking that i could use the intake side of the scrubber that just sits open, and put a 3/8" tube and ball valve on that intake side of the scrubber. wouldnt that let me control the air going in?

1710271562605.png
That would work just fine.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will also work. It actually does not matter what side the valve is on. Adjusting flow in will adjust flow out and vice versa.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that will also work. It actually does not matter what side the valve is on. Adjusting flow in will adjust flow out and vice versa.
great! thanks so much! im suprised no one else has ever asked this or talked about controlling air in with valves or anything. maybe they are just smarter and knew the answer already haha.

Steve2020

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great! thanks so much! im suprised no one else has ever asked this or talked about controlling air in with valves or anything. maybe they are just smarter and knew the answer already haha.
IMO an adjustable air valve is not necessary with most DC Skimmers but I can see where it could give you that fine tuning capability whether actually needed or not. Sometimes it just comes down to personal preference in most cases as do most things in this hobby.
A needle valve may give you better fine tuning of the air vice a ball valve. Just a thought.

yeldarbj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup - Simplicity skimmer with the BRS scrubber. I did not use any sort of air valve on the scrubber. The restriction of pulling air through the scrubber was enough to limit the air flow for my setup so leaving it wide open was fine.

OP
OP
Reef Puncher

Reef Puncher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same setup - Simplicity skimmer with the BRS scrubber. I did not use any sort of air valve on the scrubber. The restriction of pulling air through the scrubber was enough to limit the air flow for my setup so leaving it wide open was fine.
ahhh ok. good to know. maybe ill just try that first and see how it works. thanks!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back