Brs pukani dry rock

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always cured it using sw, a power head and a nice big bag of carbon to absorb the stink. I'll do one partial water change after the first week. End of week two it's ready for the tank.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thank you for the info. Helped a ton. Was tired of spending 25 bucks for a 6 pound rock just cause it was live. I like the free critters though depending on what they were of course.

Beausoleiljacob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would really recommend curing this rock. There was tons of Phosphate as well as Ammonia that was produced due to this rock. I decided to cure this rock before adding it to my new tank and was very glad I did. Make sure you cure it in an area that has good ventilation because the rock stinks to high heaven as stuff decays.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol yeah after reading everything I'm going to cure it. When y'all got the rock how was it. As in when you got say 15 pounds did half of it come as rubble from the rough handling of ups and fedex

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got either 25 or 30 pounds, can't remember exactly. There were 3 large pieces (aprox. 10-12" across) There were a couple smaller chunks and some rubble (small fraction of the total). I put the rubble in my sump and the rest I cured and put into my 125. There is a place when you place the order where you can kind of tell them what you want and they will try to find pieces that meet your needs.

Wayneb332

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the dry rock I purchased from reef savers after about three weeks. Also very light for the size and no hassle with curing. I put it straight in after a rinse in some ro water to wash off the dust.

1457053904959.jpg

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I placed my order yesterday. Bulk reef supply does have free shipping on pukani dry and and no min to buy to get the free shipping so that was really nice. I don't know how long the free shipping for pukani Rock is going to last. So I ended up getting 12 pounds worth so hopefully that should be enough to finish the rock work in my 40 breeder.

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah Florida seems to have a lot of real neat fish stores and such. Next time I go to Florida I might have to make a stop at a couple of the big ones. I'm out of South Carolina so we don't have that many fish stores except for in Charleston but that's a hour and 45min drive to get there. Luckily I have a small one right by me that's 10 min away.

Bunnee911

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just soak it in tap water for a couple of weeks, changing it out every few days. Then ro for a while and finally salt water to finish.

Lonny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pukani is great rock and awesome to work with. Just a hack saw flat head screw driver and some epoxy putty and the skies the limit. Plus you get so much more rock per pound!
20160109_130107.jpg

Weeble10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started my cube with BRS Dry Pukani and I couldn't be happier!

Tons of of good advice already given in the thread but this is what I did....used tweezers and a stiff brush to remove as much organic matter as possible, then a power wash with the hose, let it dry for a day, then into the tank. My tank was new so the Pukani kicked off my cycle which took about 3-4 weeks to complete. What ever you decide cure/no-cure take your time!

OP
OP
badstorm48

badstorm48

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I plan on taking my time I have an already established tank so I don't want to jeopardize my fish and inverts and the few corals I have. I plan on curing it for a few weeks before adding to the tank and doing a partial water change about every other day

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 131 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.1%
Back