BRS RO/DI Unit - What do I put in this Cannister?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 micrometer or micron equals 0.001 mm, or about 0.000039 inch.
5 micron is 0.000197

5 micron is bigger.

Edit: I think normally the way to do this is you go through a bigger cartridge first and then the smaller cartridge.

If you go to the smaller cartridge first it will clog catching a larger particles before it goes to the bigger micron. And the bigger Micron wouldn't be doing anything because all the particles would have been caught already.
I'm well aware of the micron sizes. That's why I said "it seems backwards..."
You are incorrect in thinking the best way is to put the larger micron filter upstream of the smaller.
The right way is the way I explained it.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm well aware of the micron sizes. That's why I said "it seems backwards..."
You are incorrect in thinking the best way is to put the larger micron filter upstream of the smaller.
The right way is the way I explained it.
Cool.

Any filter system you take the larger sizes and filter them down to the smallest. This prevents them clogging. End of story. Maybe you should put the membrane first? Of coarse I'm joking.
Not sure why you would want the 1 first. It's taking out everything the 5 would plus. So why have the 5 micron? This makes zero sense.

Sediment, carbon, 1 micron, membrane.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.

Any filter system you take the larger sizes and filter them down to the smallest. End of story. Maybe you should put the membrane first? Of coarse I'm joking.

Sediment, carbon, 1 micron, membrane.
I already explained it to you... I can't understand it for you. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

@Buckeye Hydro , care to weigh in? Maybe he'll believe it if it comes from you!

edd59

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
i always put 5 micron first, 1 micron second. this is how air water and ice recomends.
if you put 1 mic first only particles smaller then 1 micron will pass leaving no particles above 5 for the next 5 micron to catch.
5 mic first will catch 5 or larger and the 1 will catch particles between 1and 5 microns.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already explained it to you... I can't understand it for you. :face-with-tears-of-joy:
My sediments exactly. I'm not sure if you're a legitimately being funny or just a little bit nasty.

As a machine mechanic I work for all kinds of water filtration. Whether it be Di, Ro, coolant, oil, Etc. It's always been this way. Catch the bigger particles and work your way down to the smaller. If I were to set it up in the opposite direction it would only catch everything in the smallest filter and you would be replacing that daily. Not to mention I would probably be fired.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took me a while to find what I was looking for...

Post in thread 'Want to add a 5th stage to my RO/DI, but not sure which.' https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...-ro-di-but-not-sure-which.877071/post-9677732

Screenshot_20240129-215846.png

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
higher chlorine capacity not particulate, but interesting and i have well water so no chlorine.

actually if you read both the posts by buck it says the higher pore size, the less the chlorine capacity it will have.

So technically chlorine capacity has a direct relationship with micron size.

Although this still doesn't make sense to me... as it would make the 5micron block completely usless if you have a 1 micron, and running dual 1 micron makes the only feasable sense. because whatever gets passed though a 1 micron filter, will be too small for a 5 micron to filter out, hence your only using the 5 micron for more chlorine absorption, and not to filter out sediment.

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually if you read both the posts by buck it says the higher pore size, the less the chlorine capacity it will have.

So technically chlorine capacity has a direct relationship with micron size.

Although this still doesn't make sense to me... as it would make the 5micron block completely usless if you have a 1 micron, and running dual 1 micron makes the only feasable sense. because whatever gets passed though a 1 micron filter, will be too small for a 5 micron to filter out, hence your only using the 5 micron for more chlorine absorption, and not to filter out sediment.
The post said that it is typical, so i would assume from their chose of words it is not always true that smaller micron has a higher capacity. Maybe it has to do with the carbon used?

Fishy888

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its really not that hard.
Just run the 4 stage amd forget the 4th. I have ran it that way for over 7 years withno issues.
Here is a pic of mine for reference.
20240128_073656.jpg
That’s a 5 stage. Plus to everyone telling the OP not to bother with the 5th stage, if he lives in a big city his TDS might be more like 500+. In that case I’d want at least 5 stages.

On the subject of microns, 1 micron filters are better at protecting the RO membrane than the 5 micron filters. That also means they’ll clog faster since they catch more over the same amount of time.

cjtabares

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into this more, it seems you should have a sediment filter smaller then your carbons, after that I am unsure why the order of the carbon matters. After the sediment filter, everything will pass threw the carbon. Why would putting the one that can absorbed more chlorine 1st matter, if one gets exhausted you have the other, and hopefully you replace the exhausted one.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
YEOW! Thanks for the invitation but not sure where to weigh in here. This thread may win the award for the most confusion, misunderstanding, mis-used jargon, and half correct posts!

Would take forever to go through 4 pages and comment on everything...

If someone has a very specific question, lay it on me.

To the OP - don't forget to allow your vendor to try to answer questions pertaining to their system.

Russ

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 74 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back