BRS - what's up with Sicce Syncra ADV pumps?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the ADV 7.0 running for about 2-3 months now. I LOVE IT! It is very powerful especially for 55w. It has WAY more push than the Reef Octo 4 I have.

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a single on a 120g? It should be fine. I have a 7.0 and a Octo 4 on a 150 both with RFG eductors. The Octo goes through a chiller and some turns though. I wish the Octo had more but two 7.0's are probably too much for my overflows.
TexasTodd, an Oregon transplant. Go Beavs.

DeeBee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keenly interested in a Syncra ADV return pump for AC reliability, famed Syncra quietness and the low power use. But other than Sicce's brochure I can't find much info on them. Zero reviews from the community. The ADV 5.5 seems to be out of stock everywhere and Sicce hasn't replied to my email query. Is it a product that just didn't work out?

Thank you for asking this. I have been waiting on the 5.5 for months and have pretty much decided to go with the 7 instead. They look like great pumps that have gotten zero promotional push.

randyBRS

BRStv Host :-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm keenly interested in a Syncra ADV return pump for AC reliability, famed Syncra quietness and the low power use. But other than Sicce's brochure I can't find much info on them. Zero reviews from the community. The ADV 5.5 seems to be out of stock everywhere and Sicce hasn't replied to my email query. Is it a product that just didn't work out?

You're right, there hasn't been much out there for reviews or comments since they first came on the scene earlier this year. I'll add this to the list of possible AskBRStv videos.

I'm thinking I could put one of these side by side to it's Sicce equivalent (Syncra Pro and HF 10.0) and test wattage draw and decibel output. :)

Antics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You're right, there hasn't been much out there for reviews or comments since they first came on the scene earlier this year. I'll add this to the list of possible AskBRStv videos.

I'm thinking I could put one of these side by side to it's Sicce equivalent (Syncra Pro and HF 10.0) and test wattage draw and decibel output. :)
Thanks!

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really curious about sicces claim that the AC powered ADV pumps have near unity power factor. Should be impossible to achieve in a conventional reluctance motor pump. I'd love to see their claim verified and hear what sort of rotor drive tech they're using to achieve such a power factor compared to the typical 0.6 to 0.7 PF we see in similar pumps from theirs and other brands' submersible ac pump lines.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im really curious about sicces claim that the AC powered ADV pumps have near unity power factor. Should be impossible to achieve in a conventional reluctance motor pump. I'd love to see their claim verified and hear what sort of rotor drive tech they're using to achieve such a power factor compared to the typical 0.6 to 0.7 PF we see in similar pumps from theirs and other brands' submersible ac pump lines.

^This.

As both an aquarist and a devout believer in physics, "near unity power factor" is up there with "reef safe ich medication".

TexasTodd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what they find. Can BRS measure the PF?

I'll put the Kill A Watt on my ADV 7.0 to see what it's using. If it's truly only using 55w I will say it's pumping more than any pump I've ever seen for the watts.

Just tested, reading 61.6. Still amazing power for that.

ksed

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a link for near unity PF they claim?

rockskimmerflow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious what they find. Can BRS measure the PF?

I'll put the Kill A Watt on my ADV 7.0 to see what it's using. If it's truly only using 55w I will say it's pumping more than any pump I've ever seen for the watts.

Just tested, reading 61.6. Still amazing power for that.
What's the power factor??? Kill a watt reads that too... Im really curious to know just cause it seems like a weird thing for sicce to fib about for 'marketing'. I mean I don't expect many buyers are cross shopping ac pumps based on power factor lol.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back