BRT LArval rearing system

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have finished my larval system. It has a BRT (Black round tub) larval tank, hooked to a 50 gal sump and skimmer. The BRT has a central standpipe with a bubble ring on the bottom. This keeps the larva suspended in a kreisel type current and off the wall. The central standpipe can be adjusted for height to control larval volume. The central filter is removable for cleaning and is wrapped in 250 micron cloth. The water delivery to the BRT from the sump is designed to be very slow. I emerges just below the bubble ring and is part of the up flow. My goal is to cycle the larval water every 1-2 days. This a drip at best. The BRT drain is 1/4 tubing and it terminates in the sump above water so I can count the drops to estimate the turnover rate. Both tanks require heaters because of the extremely slow turnover rate.
I am now waiting to establish the next Neon Goby fry date and I will fill the larval system from the brood stock system and see how it goes.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had goby fry in my larval snagger this morning meaning, they hatched last night. The last time was Feb 13th or 17 days. That means in 17 days I should have another hatch. The green water is up and running and I get a million type s rotifers tomorrow. I will have the larval system up and running for the next hatch. We will see what happens.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mercury Capsule-Ready to Launch

I have now completed the BRT and its water testing. I tried to keep the inside of the tub free of any obstructions. One way to do that was to heat the outside of the tub. It is wrapped in 2 ea. 12 x 24 inch heating pads. Both pads are plugged into a Ranco temperature controller. It keeps the tub temperature very stable. But with the pads being wrapped in a sheet for insulation, and the wires hanging everywhere, it reminded me of a space capsule just before launch.

Attachments

• Mecury Capsule 001.jpg
    Mecury Capsule 001.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 456
  • Mecury Capsule 003.jpg
    Mecury Capsule 003.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 495
  • Mecury Capsule 004.jpg
    Mecury Capsule 004.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 514
OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a larval snagger set up in my Neon Goby tank, but they missed their last scheduled spawn. The male is still guarding the cave so maybe it will be soon.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.

Lrood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A late post for this thread, but wondering how your system worked out? Did you use any micron sized mesh over that central riser piece? It looked like small larvae like neons would be able to pass through it.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had success with neon gobies larvae about 2 years ago. Before that, I had Midas Blennie larvae that after numerous attempts, including s-type Rotifers, I could never get past day 8! I could say that no one has succeeded with Midas yet. I have a journal on MBIsite. With neon gobies I wasn't successful the 1st time, but I ended up with 24. I didn't use a BRT, but I do know it is best for larval rearing. Have you read Matt Wittenrich's book? Lots of useful info. I could tell you, you don't need s-type Rotifers, they are pretty hardy big mouth larvae that graduate to Newly hatched brine quickly. Good luck, I hope you succeed! Let me know if you have questions? BTW, you could run several BRT out of that 50 gal sump, just need a bigger stand.[emoji4]

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A late post for this thread, but wondering how your system worked out? Did you use any micron sized mesh over that central riser piece? It looked like small larvae like neons would be able to pass through it.
I started with the mesh idea but found a better solution from another breeder. He was using foam filters stuck over the top of the standpipe. Keeps almost any size animal out and still allows low flow to circulate. I am hooking my BRT to my main system instead of the 50 gal sump. It is way too much work to keep the 50 cycled, and I have a very large ATS on my main system. My next clutch will not need water changes. I will see if it has much impact on my system.

OP
OP
Windy

Windy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had success with neon gobies larvae about 2 years ago. Before that, I had Midas Blennie larvae that after numerous attempts, including s-type Rotifers, I could never get past day 8! I could say that no one has succeeded with Midas yet. I have a journal on MBIsite. With neon gobies I wasn't successful the 1st time, but I ended up with 24. I didn't use a BRT, but I do know it is best for larval rearing. Have you read ? Lots of useful info. I could tell you, you don't need s-type Rotifers, they are pretty hardy big mouth larvae that graduate to Newly hatched brine quickly. Good luck, I hope you succeed! Let me know if you have questions? BTW, you could run several BRT out of that 50 gal sump, just need a bigger stand.[emoji4]
I lost one of my gobies so no goby eggs right now.

Back