BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love a good reefing gear delivery!

441068671_1406653790041527_6609565206344411314_n.jpg

I got some assistance in battling the algae. The GKM has been running for 3 days now and honestly it's looking much much better. I also finished dosing H₂O₂, at the rate of 1ml/10G for a period of 5 days.

My softies look stressed out and some of them arent opening well. The Zoas and Rhodactis arent opening fully and the Euphyllia is still pretty much fully retracted. That said, I did notice this last night:

436363110_831058908890508_5024959198737499920_n.jpg

It would appear the Euphyllia is splitting from 2 heads in to 4 heads. I'm not sure if that's what is stressing it out as well or otherwise caused it to drop polyps but combined with the dinos covering it, the H₂O₂ dosing and the filefish nibbling on it 2 weeks ago, I think it's safe to say it's going through a rough time. I hope the coral additives and food can give it the strength it needs to pull through. You can also see the sand bed and the rock is looking much better and most of the dinos are almost gone. Thanks a lot to everyone who reached out to me with tips and advice on how to battle them!

On a sidenote, I tested water again, mid-week this time, and a full cycle:

Temp 25C (-)
Salinity 1025 (-)
dKH 8.2 (↓)
Phosphate 0.09 (↓)
Nitrate 10 (-)
Calcium 380 (↓)
Magnesium 1230(↓)

I'm upping my All for Reef daily dosage as it appears my alk, calc and mag are getting consumed faster than I'm currently dosing for. That Kamoer X1 came just at the right time. :D

I'll wait a little bit with the NitroPhos Minus until the algae problem is completely sorted.

That's it for now!

OP
OP
B

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couple of updates. The Dinos (it was the Ostreopsis variant in the end) are almost gone. I've not had to syphon for a few days and the sand bed and rock work is staying clean. So far so good ... A few more interesting things happened though. I'm not sure the Euphyllia will pull through though and one of the Zoa frags is looking rough as well. The rest appears to be pulling through.

On a different note some other interesting stuff happened.

I found a hermit's corpse outside of a shell the other day, right where the clowns always chill out. I figured they roughed him up and got a little too intense. But then in the evening, I noticed I still had 2 hermits. Guess one shed his skin.

I also had a little clicking sound in the tank, I'm not sure what it is and I thought it was the filefish or maybe a snail tapping against the glass, but I heard it the other day in a somewhat quick repetition and it's not that. So my question is, what creature can make this kind of sound? I didn't buy a mantis or pistol shrimp ... Did a tiny one maybe hike back on the live rock all those weeks ago?

And then finally, I was checking last night if my bristle worm was still good (and he is) but I found another type of worm I hadn't seen before. Looks like a black-ish work, with white section and when I shined my light on it, it seemed to move by folding in. I'm guessing some sort of a fanworm?

I managed to get a blurry picture, not sure if anyone can identify from this? You can see the black worm sticking out through a hole in the coralline.

436723969_334162019781575_6385522889652319880_n.jpg

OP
OP
B

BrunoL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I normally add some Aqueforest Purefood during lights off, but decided to give some today, with the white light on and the flow turned off. I wanted to see if I could maybe lure some critters out and get some pictures.

The fanworm didn't show it's body so not sure on that, but I'm pretty sure there's 2 decent sized bristleworms and bristle stars in pretty much every crevasse. I also noticed some movement on the back, behind the Tunze frag holder. It was hard to see but I'm pretty sure I saw some pods walking there, possible amphipods. I'm thinking they've installed themselves in the rock; around the magnet holding it in place on the back of it. That area is completely safe from every kind of threat. It's pretty cool as I never really dosed or added any, so I'm curious where they came form. That said, should they wander out, I'm pretty sure they'll get turned in to clown food ...

Finally, I still don't know where the clicking sound comes from, I didn't see any kind of shrimp or mantis ... The mystery remains.

Back