BSJF Breeding

Bklynskandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned that when my bsjf changes color, he's doing his mating call (vid attached. Just love them) I've seen the 2 of them in the same cave (which was shocking), but just had a look at the one I think is the female and her stomach looks swollen. Does anyone have experience with breeding bsjf and know what the female looks like before the eggs are out and into the male's mouth? (Can't get a vid or pic of her cause she doesn't stay out long enuff)
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 20200816_102045.mp4
    18.2 MB

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...there are breeding reports from yellowhead jawfish, but I don't think I've ever heard of a successful rearing of a bluehead jawfish spawn. You could try looking for yellowhead jawfish spawn/rearing reports to see if there are any similarities or not. Typically in most fish, a female will swell with eggs, then once the pair spawn, the female will slim down.

OP
OP
Bklynskandi

Bklynskandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't seen any either, but will research the pearls (which I have 2 of also lol)
Thanks so much

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will look like she swallowed a marble, about 24-48 hours before spawning she will really start to swell. This is a female hovering above the males den about an hour before spawning.
100_0175.JPG.jpg

OP
OP
Bklynskandi

Bklynskandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
She will look like she swallowed a marble, about 24-48 hours before spawning she will really start to swell. This is a female hovering above the males den about an hour before spawning.
100_0175.JPG.jpg

Thank you so much for that!! I was able to take some pics before work this morning (of course, lights weren't on yet, but this was the first I was able to catch her) hopefully you can see the swelling, sorry the pic wasn't clear enuff

20200818_074705.jpg

OP
OP
Bklynskandi

Bklynskandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, update...

My jaw decided to release the eggs in her cave and they floated up, cause my powder blue, hippo, yellow, and clowns to go diving after them. Then the shrimp did a grab and go and ran towards the back of the tank. Male jaw wasn't able to get to the eggs fast enuff.

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know no one has raised BSJF yet. Most of us that have worked with them never ended up with fertile eggs. The Male just quits tending them and spits them out of his cave. Congrats on the spawn!

ThRoewer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've learned that when my bsjf changes color, he's doing his mating call (vid attached. Just love them) I've seen the 2 of them in the same cave (which was shocking), but just had a look at the one I think is the female and her stomach looks swollen. Does anyone have experience with breeding bsjf and know what the female looks like before the eggs are out and into the male's mouth? (Can't get a vid or pic of her cause she doesn't stay out long enuff)
Thanks in advance
I have a trio but so far not much luck in harvesting larvae:
There is a report from a Mexican research team about their spawning behavior, egg development, and larva size, but I don't think they raised any larvae to adults:
Comportamiento reproductivo del pez Opistognathus rosenblatti en cautiverio

OP
OP
Bklynskandi

Bklynskandi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was an aw
I have a trio but so far not much luck in harvesting larvae:
There is a report from a Mexican research team about their spawning behavior, egg development, and larva size, but I don't think they raised any larvae to adults:
Comportamiento reproductivo del pez Opistognathus rosenblatti en cautiverio

That was an awesome read!! Thank you so much for sharing that. That was the most helpful thing I've read on the subject and am so grateful!!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back