OP
OP
Jeremy K.A.

Jeremy K.A.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all so much for your input, stories, and experiences this has been extremely interesting! Love seeing everyones nems as well, some real beauties out there!

West1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 250 Reefer full of bubbletips. When the MH lights are on all but two are fully bubbled but when the LED's are on they shrink down.
Green bubble.jpg
multi 2.jpg
Mulit.jpg

That looks amazing! Maybe some rock nems on the bottom. I've been thinking about going full nems in my 45 with similar setup as you, except with RBTA and rock nems (hopefully they stay on the floor.).

srad750c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BF9C241A-6C00-4969-A39C-876102FAE471.jpeg B803C163-D84D-4064-92A2-1EE0DCC9B30D.jpeg I’m new to the BTA world but mine always has bubbles?, but mine does something really weird at night. It shrinks away into nothing. If I hadn’t had anemones in the past, I probably would have tossed it out. It doesn’t do it all the time but on a regular basis. I hope this is normal. Mine is in medium flow, medium light. I have a combination of Kessil A360WE and AI Prime HD LEDs. They’re on 12 hrs a day and moonlight at night. Bubbles are small in morning and late night. Fairly large when lights are midday period. I don’t directly feed mine but it gets food that is blown into it when I feed. I have two black perculas but they never go to it. But I’m good with it.

Last edited:

brandolphjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 180 gallon reef ,full of 40+ Black widow bta..For 2 years I have noticed,,when lights come on they are small and throughout the daytime they swell,,,right before lights out they look huge. Then retract in the darkness...Lighting is definitely a factor here..
9e18ccb4bb78fe11c8eeda9085746117.jpg

PAXpress

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no proof or scientific evidence to back my thoughts however my bubble tips lost their bubbles when the tank had flow that went one direction instead of random. The first tank they were in had LOW random flow. They had bubbles on nearly every tip. Moved them to my new tank, a peninsula. Setup the gyre and they started losing their bubbles... take it for what you would like. However I did have only leds in the first setup where bubbles were present, peninsula has t5 and that same led strip. There could be multiple contributing factors. I will say there’s an exhibit at the aquarium near where I live and they have a round tank loaded to the brim with bubble tips, this tank appears to be stagnant as far as flow is concerned. The anemones are gigantic and have beautiful bubbles.

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting thread. For the past 6 months my bta has been stringy. Recently, 2days ago, I added one clown that had been in a bta as mine have not chosen to do so. He immediately took to the bta. Today for the first time ever I noticed the bta not as stringy and having way more bubble tips. Sadly, after reviewing my log I noticed I also altered the flow some so that the clown could host without being blown around so much. So not sure if it was the flow change or the clown that is causing the bubble tip to bubble more. Just thought I would share my findings.

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Interesting thread. For the past 6 months my bta has been stringy. Recently, 2days ago, I added one clown that had been in a bta as mine have not chosen to do so. He immediately took to the bta. Today for the first time ever I noticed the bta not as stringy and having way more bubble tips. Sadly, after reviewing my log I noticed I also altered the flow some so that the clown could host without being blown around so much. So not sure if it was the flow change or the clown that is causing the bubble tip to bubble more. Just thought I would share my findings.

U

User1

View Badges
I’ve had a bubble tip grow and split 14 times and some decide to bubble up and others not. My experiecnce its been stable paramiters over long periods of time with little interaction with the tank(keeping hands out or basically avoiding reminding the animals that they’re in captivity.

Gah!...14? Are you serious? I was thinking the one that turned into 6 for me was bad enough. :( Only time I've seen any of mine with bubble tips is low flow areas or after their split. Most of the time they are long whirly things dancing in the water.

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gah!...14? Are you serious? I was thinking the one that turned into 6 for me was bad enough. :( Only time I've seen any of mine with bubble tips is low flow areas or after their split. Most of the time they are long whirly things dancing in the water.
Well I believe mine split so much because I got it in the early stages of my tank. Also it was my first real attempt at housing corals so I’m sure all my parameter swings and rookie mistakes caused stress end resulted in more splitting. And they’re weren’t really any other corals to compete for space. I noticed bubble tips and thicker tentacles in lower flow also

LilElroyJetson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this hasn’t been replied to in a year but this is a great thread full of valuable anecdotal experiences. I’m getting ready to pick up my first BTA and this was a good read to be prepared for the variety of behavior I can expect to see and a reminder to let nature do its thing.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aviary-image-1550861158433.jpeg
Great pics all.

To summarize.
*Light- Some have changed light and they bubble up. Others it doesn't effect them

*Food- Some Don't feed them often and they bubble up. Some feed often and they bubble up.

"Flow- some are in high flow bubble up. Low flow and they bubble. For others it doesn't mater they never bubble.

*Genetics- spilt off ones that bubbles never bubble. Others split off non bubblers and bubble.

doughboy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a BTA that was fully bubbled where I bought it from. Once in my tank, bubbles lasted only a couple hours and became stringy, and has been like that for over a year. I never feed anything. lately the only change I did was started dosing amino acid and the bta all of a sudden is fully bubbled.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aviary-image-1550861158433.jpeg
Great pics all.

To summarize.
*Light- Some have changed light and they bubble up. Others it doesn't effect them

*Food- Some Don't feed them often and they bubble up. Some feed often and they bubble up.

"Flow- some are in high flow bubble up. Low flow and they bubble. For others it doesn't mater they never bubble.

*Genetics- spilt off ones that bubbles never bubble. Others split off non bubblers and bubble.
Yes that sums it up nicely ..:D:D:D

austintylerl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rose bta was delivered today. Took it out of the box with no bubbles. After floating it in the bag for 30 mins all bubbles. In drippping it away from lights, no more bubbles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back