Bubba's SPS Journey

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey bubba how long are you running your 'fuge light? I forget how long I used to do it but I think it was ~12 hours. I started at 14 this time because that's opposite my display lighting.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off,this piece is amazing. And I had no idea or maybe I did and just forgot.. But you live in CFL ANNND work at TSA ?!
I do!
How did your Acros react when you dropped nutrient levels over 3 weeks?
So far doesn't seem to have changed much.
Dragon’s breath is another great looking macro.
For sure the best looking macro algae but it can be pricey.
Hey bubba how long are you running your 'fuge light? I forget how long I used to do it but I think it was ~12 hours. I started at 14 this time because that's opposite my display lighting.
I run it 24 hrs a day. I was worried at first but it didn't seem to bother the algae at all.

ClownSchool

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do!

So far doesn't seem to have changed much.

For sure the best looking macro algae but it can be pricey.

I run it 24 hrs a day. I was worried at first but it didn't seem to bother the algae at all.
I’ve been told it isn’t about effecting the algae, but about the O2 level in the tank. I’m not sure that’s true.
But, I can confirm running both at the same time does cause larger pH swings during the dark period.

Steven Garland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow,that is crazy. I am in Orange City so I am not far at all.

Maybe I can get some frags whenever I start my tabk back up if you ever have some to get rid of.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing how well my pom pom reduced my nutrients I wanted more, lol. My old sump didn't have a very large section for a refugium, so I decided to build a new sump with a large refugium section. I hope my tank doesn't have a crazy reaction removing the old and installing a new one with the bacteria being removed.

372A2CF0-B74C-4818-8425-07BD5A02D0D6.jpeg
7A8D7BEE-D914-4BC0-A8FA-BB7D5A21AC8E.jpeg

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing how well my pom pom reduced my nutrients I wanted more, lol. My old sump didn't have a very large section for a refugium, so I decided to build a new sump with a large refugium section. I hope my tank doesn't have a crazy reaction removing the old and installing a new one with the bacteria being removed.

372A2CF0-B74C-4818-8425-07BD5A02D0D6.jpeg
7A8D7BEE-D914-4BC0-A8FA-BB7D5A21AC8E.jpeg
You should be fine. I replaced a sump on 2x 180s tied together with no issues. Tanks were truly mixed reefs with one being SPS dominant and the other tank be mostly more sensitive nems. Euphilia and softies thrown about both tanks.

The system actually ate NO3 like a beast for about a week after the swap, so just be sure to watch nutrients. Not sure why, but it was either due to more macro being in there or the bacteria eating it up and they repopulated.

Also, that is good looking sump.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should be fine. I replaced a sump on 2x 180s tied together with no issues. Tanks were truly mixed reefs with one being SPS dominant and the other tank be mostly more sensitive nems. Euphilia and softies thrown about both tanks.

The system actually ate NO3 like a beast for about a week after the swap, so just be sure to watch nutrients. Not sure why, but it was either due to more macro being in there or the bacteria eating it up and they repopulated.

Also, that is good looking sump.
Did you light your fuge right away after the swap? I’m worried about lighting it too fast before bacteria populates and making dino pop up.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you light your fuge right away after the swap? I’m worried about lighting it too fast before bacteria populates and making dino pop up.
I did, but reduced photo period. Went from 12 to 6 and then worked back up to 12 and then had to back down to 8 once everything leveled out. More room for macro meant more uptake, so I just made sure it never bottomed out and adjusted light time to keep levels where it keeps me at 5-10 and .08-.1. I also ended up with a weird light schedule to keep PH a little more stable.

DT runs for 12 hours with ramp up slowly and ramp down slowly.
Fuge used to run for 12 hours, but cutting back to 8, I could see a PH dip. Probably not an issue as it was only to 8.1 or so, but wanted to keep as close to 8.3 as possible.

This keeps me at 8.25-8.35 or so all day/night.

09:00-21:00 - Only DT lights
21:00-23:00 - Fuge lights
23:00-00:00 - No lights
00:00-02:00 - Fuge Lights
02:00-03:00 - No lights
03:00-05:00 - Fuge Lights
05:00-06:00 - No Lights
06:00-09:00 - Fuge Lights
09:00-21:00 - Only DT lights

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know it's a lot of chat about macro algae lately but I thought it would be interesting to show how it is clearly helping my tank maintain a higher ph.

The pom pom algae has been sitting in my sump since last Friday but didn't have a light over it yet. Yesterday morning I decided to install the light and start running it. So far I just turned it on 24 hrs a day, like I did in my old sump but if uglies start to pop up I will turn it off for a day or two. My PH went much higher for the peak and the low overnight stayed up pretty high.

Anyone struggling with low ph should give a refugium a try, if they are able to.

8D11B0A8-1A9A-4873-B295-98F1A6532EA4.jpeg

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, well it took a couple of weeks to get through it (I didn't read all of it, but call it 85%) but I feel like I just binge watched three seasons of a TV show. When does season four start?

In all seriousness, how are things? Any other lengthy threads to read?

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, well it took a couple of weeks to get through it (I didn't read all of it, but call it 85%) but I feel like I just binge watched three seasons of a TV show. When does season four start?

In all seriousness, how are things? Any other lengthy threads to read?
Thanks for all the likes! When I would get of r2r I was always shocked by the amount of notifications lol.

Unfortunately season four is a ways away. Since I became the Online/photographer for Top Shelf Aquatics, I just don’t pay attention to my tank like I used to.

I know following a personal tank thread is not the same as following a business's thread but if you ever want to see some new coral pics, give top shelf aquatics eye candy thread a follow as I post all the pics on there.

Thanks again for all the love on the thread lately.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started page 1 a few hours ago; now on page 103. I've been considering giving up on SPS, but this thread might just be motivation to keep me going.

I'm not a TSA fan at all, but hot dang if the pictures aren't amazing.

Zoomer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the likes! When I would get of r2r I was always shocked by the amount of notifications lol.

Unfortunately season four is a ways away. Since I became the Online/photographer for Top Shelf Aquatics, I just don’t pay attention to my tank like I used to.

I know following a personal tank thread is not the same as following a business's thread but if you ever want to see some new coral pics, give top shelf aquatics eye candy thread a follow as I post all the pics on there.

Thanks again for all the love on the thread lately.
I heard someone say, "People who work at Subway don't usually go home and make themselves a sandwich for dinner." That seems to make sense. Hopefully your home tank still thrives and you continue to enjoy the hobby as you work the hobby too.

TSA is my preferred online vendor. I've only placed a few orders but they have their stuff together and it makes it (too) easy to shop with them. Couple that with quality (honest) photos and many pictures of mother colonies and there's not much reason to shop elsewhere.

Welp, see you around. I'll still check in from time to time to see if you've posted that somewhat-annual FTS you're fond of ;)

Cheers,
Phil

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let's see if I can revive this thread from the dead.

Everyone who followed my thread knows I basically stopped taking care of my tank at home due to working at Top Shelf Aquatics all day. I figured what better why to still enjoy the hobby than to setup a tank at work on my desk.

My tank is tiny, with only being a 10 gallon all in one Waterbox tank. People say it's going to be near impossible to grow acros in such a small tank but I am determined to prove them wrong, lol.

I will take pics to document the process.
E6538514-D7E5-4361-9499-8D8A5E1C7FB0.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back