Bubble Algae EXPLOSION!!!

salt newbie01

CRC Flunky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dave there has been alot of talk around forums about LR leeching phosphates - And the type of rock you put in your tank keeps coming up. Also I was talking with Randy up in knoxvegas - he has been reading about phosphates that do not show up on our test kits causing algae. That is just murphys law I guess. We test and test for phosphates and apparently there are some types of phosphates that we cannot or our test kits do not show. He has had 0 readings on his phosphate tests but has a lot of algae growth. I would deffinately run the DI. Good luck with it!!

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the vinegar bath is a great way to help unbind the phosphates on dry rock like Marcos rock before you use it.....I did that with some old dry rock that I had and after 2 days and a good scrubbing it came out really, really clean. Now it could still leach phosphates but from what I understand the phosphates are bound up in the rock in the surface layers and the vinegar bath will remove that first few layer of rock, or at least that is the theory.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just found out m return pump had sucked up a digital thermometer and there was barely any flow and return for the water in the display meaning hardly any water making it into the skimmer. This doesn't explain my PO in the RO water, but do you think this could have been the sudden outbreak in algae and red slime?

Also I added 4 bags of chemipure elite, do you think this is ok? My sps began to slime almost instantly, but are not doing it anymore....

KEEPERZ

TOTM March 08'
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good things take time-you know this Rev- take it slow and let your system work-even the best reefers get anxious.

Paintguru

In need of tank
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny Rev, but I too have just run into a MAJOR bubble algae issue in my main tank. Always had some there, but recently it has really taken off. Also interestingly, I too just switched to IO. I am none too happy at the moment with my system, as I had just gotten over battling with hair algae. Right now I'm trying to figure out how best to approach this new and annoying problem.

dieselab

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to remove as much of the BA as possible and do a 10-20% water chance immediately after. I did this after I had a large BA outbreak after I added some new LR. Also try running some rowaphos and carbon. Just make sure to change it out after about 5 days.

ReefDoctor

Just a hobbiest
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont feel bad REV I NEVER had and BA then about 2 months ago started seeing some.. Now I pull it out each day Not alot But clumps here and there.. The main display and the Fuge seem impervious to it BUT the Prop tanks are under attack? I run PO4` remoiver.. Carbon ect... NOT a MOJOR problem but an irratation :(

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 43 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 77 48.7%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%

Back