Bubble algae

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some bubble algae on a zoa frag rock. I have been keeping it off other rocks, not be cause of the algae but the Zoa’s seemed to like lower light and open better. I saw it when I was moving things around. The bubble are still very small. Going to take the rock out and try and chisel off part of the rock with the algae on it there are no Zoa’s in that are anyway. It after I remove the algae in there anything that I need to do to make sure that the bubble algae is gone? Was thinking a squirt of H2O2 over that area. Yes I will be working on it out side the tank. Will get some pictures this afternoon when I get home from work and while I complete the process.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found some bubble algae on a zoa frag rock. I have been keeping it off other rocks, not be cause of the algae but the Zoa’s seemed to like lower light and open better. I saw it when I was moving things around. The bubble are still very small. Going to take the rock out and try and chisel off part of the rock with the algae on it there are no Zoa’s in that are anyway. It after I remove the algae in there anything that I need to do to make sure that the bubble algae is gone? Was thinking a squirt of H2O2 over that area. Yes I will be working on it out side the tank. Will get some pictures this afternoon when I get home from work and while I complete the process.
Tooth picks work great getting to tight spots. I also have a black spot foxface who loves bubble algea.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tooth picks work great getting to tight spots. I also have a black spot foxface who loves bubble algea.
Don't think a foxface would like a 25g lagoon lol. But will have toothpicks handy as well. the rock doesn't have any holes its pretty solid piece.

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just removed it off the drag rock. Not all that bad but could have quickly become a huge problem in such a small tank. Took a razor blade and was able to pry it off the rock. Then rinsed that area with 3% H2O2 and then rinsed with tank water. Have it positioned so that I can quickly see if it starts to come back.
IMG_7950.jpeg
IMG_7951.jpeg
IMG_7952.jpeg

OP
OP
DDenny

DDenny

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope that I caught it in time and it didn’t spread to other rocks. This drag was away from everything but that doesn’t mean much with bubble algae

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Known as valonia , keep it simple. I take a small needle and have 3/8 tubing ready and attach to end of tubing with rubber band and pop each one and siphon at same time- You will have removed all spores and foreign material in area.
Had to do this in the past with birdsnest coral and was gone 100%.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 155 67.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back