Bubble algae

dburnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having some issues with bubble algae. Had them on my snails and I manually removed a lot of it and it’s back in a decent section of the tank attached to the rocks. Best tips on dealing with this? New to the hobby. Reefer 250g2 been running since may

05D88E9F-B5A7-4408-9229-D5A5AE7F77EC.jpeg 9D1D2FBC-5F50-460B-B68C-611B674C840E.jpeg

OP
OP
dburnn

dburnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say deploy an army of emerald crabs. Blennies also work well. Also, look into this thing called vibrant aquarium cleaner.
Copy that. Thank you. I grabbed 4 pack of emeralds from my local store. Hoping that helps. I’ll look into vibrant also

Orito

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would read about vibrant before using it

PeeperKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing valonia by hand does work in the long run. When doing water changes, knock ‘‘em off and suck ‘‘em up the siphon hose. In my experience (which is not to say my tank works like yours) it doesn’t grow so fast that you can’t get ahead of it with some regular maintenance.
Emerald crabs do help, but I haven’t had good luck keeping them long term. Again, maybe something specific to my tank.

Joe31415

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i had a very infested tank and a foxface worked
OP has a 54g tank. I don't think that's going to work. I'm in a similar position. Everyone always suggests a tang or fox face, but that's not going to work in a tank that size, at least not for very long.

OP
OP
dburnn

dburnn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Removing valonia by hand does work in the long run. When doing water changes, knock ‘‘em off and suck ‘‘em up the siphon hose. In my experience (which is not to say my tank works like yours) it doesn’t grow so fast that you can’t get ahead of it with some regular maintenance.
Emerald crabs do help, but I haven’t had good luck keeping them long term. Again, maybe something specific to my tank.
Awesome advice. Thank you

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 26 19.5%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 36 27.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back