OP
P

petechic

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did the same brain wracking for weeks and finally gave up, couldn't figure out if it was my clowns that were just loving it to death, all water Pams, seemed to be in line, everything else in the tank was good.. I could just never figure it out, and I have been in this hobby for years.. like I said, he is still in the tank, small and all white but his tentacles are growing back slowing so time will tell.

Meatball_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same. Although my clowns pay it no mind. My original BTA that lost all of its tentacles is finally starting to move towards a brighter area after I turned the light intensity down. So maybe it has just taken almost 2 months to acclimate to my lighting (Chinese Bb, viparspectra). However I think the lighting was just so bright it couldn't photosynthesize anything and slowly starved. What's strange though is that the LPS, old and new arrivals, have taken to it fine. Maybe the lighting for this particular anemone was just so low it got used to it. Cant argue with mother nature I guess.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine (RBTA) used to look great. Now what's left of it looks like yours. It lost all it's color and split in two. I haven't seen one half in a month or more. This all started when I started dosing Vibrant for GHA. If it means anything after more than 2 months the GHA is doing great.

Meatball_reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been dosing Vibrant as well to keep down diatoms after dosing Si to fend off dinos. In my many hours of trying to read and figure out what was going on with my BTA I've leared that anemones (and all corals, I guess) like having measurable amounts of nitrate in the system. I've been trying to increase my frozen food feeding to account for this.

NanoMixer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve been searching for SO LONG for a post like this. I got a BTA about two months ago. Looked great. Went on vacation over Thanksgiving, and my top off ran dry. House sitter didn’t refill it when she was supposed to. Anyway had a crazy salinity spike and tank crash with subsequent “re cycle” stage with all the uglies. When we first returned home, the anemone was in the ball of death floating around the tank. Clowns still alive, zoas shriveled and melting. I did a major water change and got some new cycled live rock and the anemone uncurled and hid. When it reopened, all its tentacles were gone and it was probably 1/3 the size as usual. Owner at the LRS (he is extremely knowledgeable and has been reefing almost longer than I’ve been alive and that’s a while ) said this can happen when they go into shock from a change in parameters and it can happen in a matter of days, but take six months or more for them to regrow their tentacles, if they ever do. Pic of my naked anemone. It’s starting to get little buds again. I do feed it every week, I just hold the food right in front of the mouth. It looks perfectly healthy other than the tentacles. We did go through a rough patch for a while. I run AI prime so it gets sufficient light. Anyway just thought I’d add to this thread in case it’s helpful for anyone else!

Attachments

• IMG_1268.jpeg
    IMG_1268.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 32

jazkiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ve been searching for SO LONG for a post like this. I got a BTA about two months ago. Looked great. Went on vacation over Thanksgiving, and my top off ran dry. House sitter didn’t refill it when she was supposed to. Anyway had a crazy salinity spike and tank crash with subsequent “re cycle” stage with all the uglies. When we first returned home, the anemone was in the ball of death floating around the tank. Clowns still alive, zoas shriveled and melting. I did a major water change and got some new cycled live rock and the anemone uncurled and hid. When it reopened, all its tentacles were gone and it was probably 1/3 the size as usual. Owner at the LRS (he is extremely knowledgeable and has been reefing almost longer than I’ve been alive and that’s a while ) said this can happen when they go into shock from a change in parameters and it can happen in a matter of days, but take six months or more for them to regrow their tentacles, if they ever do. Pic of my naked anemone. It’s starting to get little buds again. I do feed it every week, I just hold the food right in front of the mouth. It looks perfectly healthy other than the tentacles. We did go through a rough patch for a while. I run AI prime so it gets sufficient light. Anyway just thought I’d add to this thread in case it’s helpful for anyone else!
I am having same issue with one of my BTA. I hope it grows back to its original color.. Do you have any updates on this?

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same issue. All parameters are where they should be nitrate at 10ppm and phosphate at 0.25ppm. No salinity swings as I have gravity fed RO with ball valve so I sit at 1.025. Temp stable at 25c. The only thing I can think is I got my anemone when my tank was 3 months old and my tank is 5 months old now. All my other corals are very happy its just my anemone. It wont eat it takes it then spits it out within a few hours. This is how it looks now
20240404_161624.jpg

ab-774819

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My anenomes don't look bad compared to those in this post lol but for the past 2 days I've been finding tentacles around my tank. I can't figure out which of the 4 they're coming from but nothing else in my tank has the red/green colors the anenomes do. 1 of my anenomes has recently moved and looks quite unhappy so I'm thinking it's that one, but tentacles are still visible on it. Found this thread so figured I'd add to it since it's still active. Only correlation is I, too, have been dosing vibrant for bubble algae.

Attachments

• 20240422_191040.jpg
    20240422_191040.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240422_191046.jpg
    20240422_191046.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 20240422_191100.jpg
    20240422_191100.jpg
    203.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240422_191106.jpg
    20240422_191106.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 5

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back