Bubble Coral by a noob

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there, I have this bubble coral in my first reef tank and was wondering what kind it is exactly? And is it happy? It seems to be doing well, but I’m also very new to the hobby. Thank you!
image.jpg

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just test alkalinity and calcium frequently (especially alk) and keep them to a level near your salt mix. If you dose, do it into a filter intake. Water changes will probably keep your magnesium up so I am not worried about that.They prefer gentle flow and moderate lighting.

What light do you have?

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, what type of bubble coral is it? Plerogyra sinuosa? or is it one of those pearl bubbles? How long have you had it in the tank?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not a pearly bubble. I believe its Plerogyra sinuosa

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not a pearly bubble. I believe its Plerogyra sinuosa
It looks more like a pearl. 1. Do you have any pics of it fully expanded and healthy?
Bubbles can be tricky, it can take them some time to get used to the tank. In the first few days they seem great, then for the next month it wont inflate to what it did before, until it becomes huge again.
If yours is truly plerogyra sinuosa, it may just be going through a phase,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
appears to be Plerogyra sinuosa bubble and not an ideal first coral. Hope it does well. wter quality and essential parameters of importance

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty guys so as far as my light I have a Hipargero LED30 watt for nano tanks. I have had this coral for about two months, and I have attached a picture of it the day after I got it. Before I got this new light, I had a FluvalSmart aquasky.
water parameters? Here is what I’ve got.
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 10-20 ppm
Alkalinity: 8.3
Mg: 1410
Salinity: 1.024
My pump may be a bit strong, but the coral is in a place where the bubbles seem to move very gently. It has not very round bubbles anymore...
Thank you so much guys!
801022A9-0030-46BC-BA0B-113667FDCA0A.jpeg

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alrighty guys so as far as my light I have a Hipargero LED30 watt for nano tanks. I have had this coral for about two months, and I have attached a picture of it the day after I got it. Before I got this new light, I had a FluvalSmart aquasky.
My pump may be a bit strong, but the coral is in a place where the bubbles seem to move very gently. It has not very round bubbles anymore...
Thank you so much guys!

it should also be noted that this coral was sold to me as a bubble coral for $50. No idea what kind, where it’s from

Dark_Knightt

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much guys!
Its most likely just strong current. I always had a problem with that because my bubble wouldnt inflate because there was too much flow. LIke a tiny bit of movement in the bubbles disturbs it. Try to maybe his it on the other side of a rock where the flow doesnt hit it

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its most likely just strong current. I always had a problem with that because my bubble wouldnt inflate because there was too much flow. LIke a tiny bit of movement in the bubbles disturbs it. Try to maybe his it on the other side of a rock where the flow doesnt hit it
Thank you! I will give that a shot.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
More light? Alrighty, how can I tell for future reference?
For a nano tank you shouldn't need a whole lot but I would think 30 watt is too small. There are a lot of good choices but it depends on how much you want to spend.

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For a nano tank you shouldn't need a whole lot but I would think 30 watt is too small. There are a lot of good choices but it depends on how much you want to spend.
How many watts would you recommend? Quick google search says 4-8 watts per gallon for a saltwater reef tank.

OP
OP
T

Taya

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update this afternoon after moving the bubble out of flow, there isn’t much movement on the bubbles at all and the light was turned up a bit. The bubbles still are oddly shaped
7361C20A-5CD4-4889-965F-A91B9B9F54B8.jpeg

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 60 39.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back