Bubble Tip Anemone Light requirment

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tank which will cary just the bubble tip anemones, and zoas below. It would be a 10g tank.
I bought a Maxspect Jump MJ-L130 lights for this.

My question is does anemone require light ramp up? As these lights don't ramp, and it's straight 6hr, 9hr, 12hr option.

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know anything about those lights, but the anemone doesn’t need a ramp up.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a tank which will cary just the bubble tip anemones, and zoas below. It would be a 10g tank.

My question is does anemone require light ramp up? As these lights don't ramp, and it's straight 6hr, 9hr, 12hr option.
I have a 10g nano anemone tank. I ran a kessil a160 tuna blue (40w) over it. The BT anemone would sit at the top of the rock and would strain to reach light; they get a trumpet shape or stretch their base to do so. I switched to a Radion xr15 and no longer have that problem.

Your light is 30w and has a less dense LED array (concentration of light). This is not a light I would recommend for lighting your anemone. Xenia, zoas, etc would be fine.

Anemones can be given food to supplement a lack of light and I would recommend you do so. Be careful as this will cause nutrient issues.

Ramping of lights is actually a newer thing (last 8 years or so). Previously we ran bulbs that flipped on and off. It’s not an issue.

image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Moderate light and flow. No need to ramp light but you can start with no flow for a couple of hours to allow nem to plant its foot. Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
Acclimation is very important for them as well as introduction. Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a suitable spot in the tank to call home. If anemone starts to move , simply direct your water flow towards the coral. Anemone lighting is an important part of their care as they need good light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce their energy source for food and growth. Anemones have zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without adequate lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and turn white which is bleaching and often leads to their death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone which stresses them.
Assure your light is moderate and flow is not excessive in your case

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moderate light and flow. No need to ramp light but you can start with no flow for a couple of hours to allow nem to plant its foot. Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp: 77°F - 80°F (stay close to the middle of this range)
  • pH level: 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < 5 -10
  • Phosphate < .04 - .08
Acclimation is very important for them as well as introduction. Most anemones will move around the tank until they find a suitable spot in the tank to call home. If anemone starts to move , simply direct your water flow towards the coral. Anemone lighting is an important part of their care as they need good light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce their energy source for food and growth. Anemones have zooxanthellae in their body which they feed on. Without adequate lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae which many think is poop and turn white which is bleaching and often leads to their death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended as well as moderate light. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone which stresses them.
Assure your light is moderate and flow is not excessive in your case
I moved my BTA from my main tank to 10G. After a mission to remove it from a rock (took almost 1hr) with powerhead pointed at its feet, and gentle rubs on the base.

After it was added to the new tank, it showed sign of stress, its all cuddled up and very very small. Is this something I need to be worried about? What can be done from here on?

Also a note, when I was in the process of removing it, it puked out this white gum looking thing, no idea what that was.

Attachments

• IMG-20230306-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20230306-WA0002.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG-20230306-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230306-WA0003.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 154

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I moved my BTA from my main tank to 10G. After a mission to remove it from a rock (took almost 1hr) with powerhead pointed at its feet, and gentle rubs on the base.

After it was added to the new tank, it showed sign of stress, its all cuddled up and very very small. Is this something I need to be worried about? What can be done from here on?

Also a note, when I was in the process of removing it, it puked out this white gum looking thing, no idea what that was.
Likely waste expelled from stress of the water movement pointed at it. Placing an ice cube on its foot will cause it to release quicker. Balling up is normal and maintain under subtle light for a day or two and it should improve to normal

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely waste expelled from stress of the water movement pointed at it. Placing an ice cube on its foot will cause it to release quicker. Balling up is normal and maintain under subtle light for a day or two and it should improve to normal
When you say subtle lights, are you saying in terms of its intensity or duration? My current lights are 30w

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
When you say subtle lights, are you saying in terms of its intensity or duration? My current lights are 30w
That will work for now but they will need more wattage in the near future

OP
OP
M

merfury1989

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ramping is not required but in my experience they prefer quite a bit of light. These are sitting under close to 350+ par at the top durring peak hours
20221225_194725.jpg
How many Watts should I aim in a 10G tank (waterbox Cube 10)?

Would Aqua Illumination Prime 16 HD suffice?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tldr;

Just make sure to allow your tank to mature before getting anemone. They can't survive in new tanks.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back