Bulkheads slight leak

iambes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
Setting up an innovative marine INT 75 and just hard plumbed to the sump ( icecap 30) .

Ifilled with fresh water to leak test and everything’s working as intended but the drain bulkheads all have a very slight leak.

they’re hand tightened very snug. Should I attempt to snug down a tiny bit more with wrench or attempt to drain overflow area and reseat? ( any tips appreciated )
0ED7ABD1-C937-48B3-9A74-9B10E8B5C33A.jpeg

Tiki Reef Joshua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are only hand tight I’d snug them up more. But YMMV. My current setup required 2 bulkheads to be snugged with channel locks about a 1/8 - 1/4 turn after hand tightened tightly. Just go at super small increases and reevaluate.

Disclaimer... my glass was EXTREMELY clean and free of any possible issues so I was comfortable knowing a reseat wasn’t the issue.

OP
OP
I

iambes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are only hand tight I’d snug them up more. But YMMV. My current setup required 2 bulkheads to be snugged with channel locks about a 1/8 - 1/4 turn after hand tightened tightly. Just go at super small increases and reevaluate.

Disclaimer... my glass was EXTREMELY clean and free of any possible issues so I was comfortable knowing a reseat wasn’t the issue.
thanks for the response, I appreciate it! Just need to find a wrench that might fit in the space lol

OP
OP
I

iambes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What side is the gasket on? The flange side or the nut side? It has to be on the flange side or else you’ll always have a small leak, no matter how tight it is.
The gasket is on the flange side inside the overflow, with the nut on the bottom of tank by itself

OP
OP
I

iambes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes then tightening would be next step if glass is clean. A very small leak (a slow drip) will slowly seal itself with salt creep.
They are very, very slow leaks. After slightly tightening with wrench was able to stop one but 2 continue.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somethimes a bit of silicone grease ( not silicone sealer) on the gasket will help seal those small leaks. It allows the gasket so spread out and not get pinched

OP
OP
I

iambes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Somethimes a bit of silicone grease ( not silicone sealer) on the gasket will help seal those small leaks. It allows the gasket so spread out and not get pinched
I may have to try this, is there a specific brand you recommend? Just want to ensure What I use is reef safe, do you use between the glass and gasket?

thanks

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had to tighten mine half full turn with wrench before stopped leaking.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drain the overflow boxes and redo them. Even the smallest speck of sand can cause a leak.

As for the silicone grease - Oateys silicone plumbers grease is what I use, but use with caution. Just enough to make the gasket shiny is more than enough! NO GLOBS!!! You also must be careful the the addition of the grease doesn't allow the gasket to deform (squeeze out) as you tighten the nut.

hth!

OP
OP
I

iambes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would drain the overflow boxes and redo them. Even the smallest speck of sand can cause a leak.

As for the silicone grease - Oateys silicone plumbers grease is what I use, but use with caution. Just enough to make the gasket shiny is more than enough! NO GLOBS!!! You also must be careful the the addition of the grease doesn't allow the gasket to deform (squeeze out) as you tighten the nut.

hth!

Thanks for the reply! The tank and bulkheads are brand new and tank is empty so no sand yet, or course it’s possible some sort of dust or debris made its way under the gaskets , but I did give it a wipe prior.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back