Bump on Powder Blue Tang

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Powder Blue Tang developed a bump two days ago that is not like when it had ich back in April. This bump is much bigger in width and height. Additionally, it is the only bump / blemish on the fish. I ran hypo salinity at 1.009 since May. No other fish are scratching. I know my PBT is a good "canary in the coal mine" for parasites and I will be very upset if after all that extended hypo with daily salinity monitoring I didn't eradicate the ich. I know the video is not the best but does this look like ich to you or is it possible a wound from "sparring" with the Hippo Tang?

Make sure to select 1080p for the video. Somethings Youtube will default to 360p on an embed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My Powder Blue Tang developed a bump two days ago that is not like when it had ich back in April. This bump is much bigger in width and height. Additionally, it is the only bump / blemish on the fish. I ran hypo salinity at 1.009 since May. No other fish are scratching. I know my PBT is a good "canary in the coal mine" for parasites and I will be very upset if after all that extended hypo with daily salinity monitoring I didn't eradicate the ich. I know the video is not the best but does this look like ich to you or is it possible a wound from "sparring" with the Hippo Tang?

Make sure to select 1080p for the video. Somethings Youtube will default to 360p on an embed.

While this bump could have stemmed from a nick or injury, it may also be anulcer which is bacterial in nature- not to say a bacterial issue but more of a fluid filled abcess and should self correct as long as you are offering healthy tank conditions and diet
What foods are you feeding

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While this bump could have stemmed from a nick or injury, it may also be anulcer which is bacterial in nature- not to say a bacterial issue but more of a fluid filled abcess and should self correct as long as you are offering healthy tank conditions and diet
What foods are you feeding
An ulcer from a bacterial infection makes sense given it has brown around it. Daily I feed a rehydrated banquet of mysis, krill, plankton, calanus, and nori, all vacuum infused with Brightwell Vitamin-M and Brightwell AminOmega. Once a week they get a combination of frozen fish eggs, IQF krill, frozen mysis in spirulina, and reef plankton all soaked in the aforementioned Brightwell products.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
An ulcer from a bacterial infection makes sense given it has brown around it. Daily I feed a rehydrated banquet of mysis, krill, plankton, calanus, and nori, all vacuum infused with Brightwell Vitamin-M and Brightwell AminOmega. Once a week they get a combination of frozen fish eggs, IQF krill, frozen mysis in spirulina, and reef plankton all soaked in the aforementioned Brightwell products.
While not bad, not enough. I keep this comprehensive list below to share but recommend them as I have 20 tangs who demand food and are fat and healthy:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While not bad, not enough. I keep this comprehensive list below to share but recommend them as I have 20 tangs who demand food and are fat and healthy:

-Spirulina brine shrimp
- LRS Herbivore diet
- mysis shrimp
- small plankton
- Nori seaweed basted with garlic extract
- Hikari Marine cuisine
- Formula 2 flake and frozen
- Hikari veggie marine

Add selcon vitamins to the foods 2-3X per week and on alternating days, garlic extract for stamina and immunity health
Thank you for the recommendation. I have a couple quick questions.

1) Isn't the combinations of AminOmega and Vitamin-M equivalent to Selcon?
2) Is your general recommendation to increase the variety and add garlic to the mixture?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you for the recommendation. I have a couple quick questions.

1) Isn't the combinations of AminOmega and Vitamin-M equivalent to Selcon?
2) Is your general recommendation to increase the variety and add garlic to the mixture?
Increase variety yes and as for your additive. . yes you can use those - as mentioned, its a saved list I often share

OP
OP
K

kboogie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keeping everyone updated. No other fish have any spots. The lights haven't come on fully yet but the bump is still there but looks to be healing.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 165 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back