Busted bottom glass

Aquarium Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELLO! So I decided to start my first reef tank. So excited! So I bought a 60 gallon cube tank off craigslist with stand and everything i need for super cheap. BUT! Upon moving it the bottom where it was drilled for the bottom overflow cracked and split across the bottom. Now I'm looking for glass to tear it down and replace the glass as this is a 400+ dollar tank. Seeing if anyone has any suggestions that will help the process. Thank you.
20181118_173940.jpeg

OP
OP
Aquarium Junkie

Aquarium Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for welcoming me! And I know it would add weight but do you think setting the same size glass over the bottom piece will work. I know it's always risky with broken tanks. They are like a cheating girlfriend or boyfriend. You can never trust them again. Lol. Maybe I'll try it and set it up in the garage just to test it. I can get the glass for pretty cheap.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for welcoming me! And I know it would add weight but do you think setting the same size glass over the bottom piece will work. I know it's always risky with broken tanks. They are like a cheating girlfriend or boyfriend. You can never trust them again. Lol. Maybe I'll try it and set it up in the garage just to test it. I can get the glass for pretty cheap.

I wouldn’t recommend it. Your going to need like 1/2” or more if it’s on the bottom. It looks like there’s an overflow already installed so unless ur putting it underneath everything then you gotta redo that. Then you gotta drill it exactly where the existing hole is.

If you keep this it’s just a disaster waiting to happen. Sorry to say but you don’t wanna risk 60 gallons of water, dead fish, rock and sand all over the floor

OP
OP
Aquarium Junkie

Aquarium Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true. I was actually planning a back over flow if I did it . But your right. Have to hit the corner and make some money. Lol thanks for your info. Maybe I'll just break it down and keep the glass for other projects.

Jvesche20

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Craigslist and Facebook marketplace always has people selling stuff for $1 per gallon. Sometimes less. I just found a guy selling a 55 gal for $20 and I went to his place and he gave it to me for free and said use the money for gas. Should be able to get another 60 gal for 100 at MOST. I wouldn’t spend more than $1 per gallon

OP
OP
Aquarium Junkie

Aquarium Junkie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone close by mn that is selling a cube tank? Or where on here would one look to find out?

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 20 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.9%
Back