Butterfly and Angel Advice

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thinking about adding some diversity to my tank.
I am interested in:
** Roaps butterfly (like Declivis etc.)
**An angelfish (flame, potters OR multibar).
I would like to know which dwarf angel tends to be more peaceful.
I do love Copperbands, but think my tangs and triggers might make one skittish.

I realize these are fish that pose a risk to corals. Any advice or experiences to share? I listed my corals and livestock below.

Current coral: Mushrooms, Ricordias, Hammers, Gonipora, Gorgonian
Current Fish: 3 Tangs (Zebrasoma, Naso, Whitetail Bristletooth), Bluethroat Trigger, 2 Bartletts, Cardinals (Pajama & Bangaii), 2 gobies, 2 hawkfish, 1 jawfish, 1 Papuan toby puffer, wrasse ( will add lineatus & blue star leopard wrasse in future)
Inverts: 1 bubbletip anemone, 1 rock flower nem, various snails

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like dwarf angels all seem to have different personalities. I've only had flames and coral beauties, but they generally start out with a docile attitude and become more assertive as they get established. I think the cherubs are the most laid back from anecdotal accounts, but for the rest, it seems to vary from one individual to another.

As for the butterflies, aside from the pyramid butterflies, I've never owned a butterfly that didn't eat every fan worm, euphyllia and acan that I had in the tank. I havent owned a declivis though, so I cant attest to them. I might be concerned about the hammer, but the other corals on your list look like they should be ignored. Live blackworms will get these guys feisty and riled up during feeding time.

Regardless, I think you should invest in an acclimation box for your new addition(s), so you don't have issues with the tangs and wrasses being bossy toward one another. A few days in the acclimation box will give your new additions the best chance to integrate into the tank without getting harassed endlessly.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like dwarf angels all seem to have different personalities. I've only had flames and coral beauties, but they generally start out with a docile attitude and become more assertive as they get established. I think the cherubs are the most laid back from anecdotal accounts, but for the rest, it seems to vary from one individual to another.

As for the butterflies, aside from the pyramid butterflies, I've never owned a butterfly that didn't eat every fan worm, euphyllia and acan that I had in the tank. I havent owned a declivis though, so I cant attest to them. I might be concerned about the hammer, but the other corals on your list look like they should be ignored. Live blackworms will get these guys feisty and riled up during feeding time.

Regardless, I think you should invest in an acclimation box for your new addition(s), so you don't have issues with the tangs and wrasses being bossy toward one another. A few days in the acclimation box will give your new additions the best chance to integrate into the tank without getting harassed endlessly.
Thank you for the info! I have an acclimation box. Do you feed blackworms only in qt or also as treats in display? Where do you order live blackworms?

ksfulk

Working back towards clean
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed them daily to both QT and DT, but it was because one of my local fish stores carried them, and they were easy to come by. I feed them less often now (because I dont go by that place anymore), but they still get gobbled up like no ones business.

If you have to order them, people have had great luck with this company and their products. :D

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I fed them daily to both QT and DT, but it was because one of my local fish stores carried them, and they were easy to come by. I feed them less often now (because I dont go by that place anymore), but they still get gobbled up like no ones business.

If you have to order them, people have had great luck with this company and their products. :D
Great - thank you!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have found cherubs to be pretty aggressive for their size.

Potter's, multi color, venusta and goldens have been the most peaceful IME, but also the shyest and most delicate.

OP
OP
Eva Rose

Eva Rose

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I did decide on the Venustus angel! I bought a pair this summer for my birthday. They have been great addictions. Peaceful temperament and out cruising the tank all day. 20170830_122859.jpg

IMG_20170910_124027_668.jpg

20170830_123021.jpg

Back