Butterflyfish help

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I have a Spotband Butterflyfish, Chaetodon punctatofasciatus, that is not doing well. It is breathing heavy, and sitting on the bottom. Occasionally he will sort of swim to a different spot and do the same. This just started this morning. Last night everything was fine, ate at feeding time swimming and pecking at the rockwork like normal. I tested the main parameters this morning, salinity is 1.024, ammoia at 0, nitrate at 20, temp is 78. This is a FOWLR tank that's been running for about 5 years, and this fish has been in for about 5 months. Nothing else has been added since, except a new batch of cheato that I added Friday. There is no damage or spots or anything that I can see on the fish. Any suggestions? Thanks.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a QT setup, but do have a 20G that I've used as a 'hospital' tank. I've treated with copper in it. It's not setup, but I have more than 20G of water mixed ready to do water changes. I was trying to read about FW dip, but keep getting sidetracked with other threads. Will try to find how to do FW dip, get the 20G setup, and get him in. Don't really have any meds, just Prazipro, Coppersafe, and Cupramine. I'll probably use half freshly mixed SW and half tank water because of temp in the 20G.

USMC 4 LIFE

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok great. Do you have a seeded sponge that you can use from your DT? If not then I would personally use 10 gallons of the DT water so I know the QT is cycled. Yes, you’re being part of the problem with you but it prevents ammonia from building up in the tank and mixing potentially toxic chemicals like prime and copper.

To do a FW dip
Get a black or dark bucket, fill it with RODI water that’s aerated with matching DT temperature, and leave the fish in there for 3-5 mins. The butterfly will lay on its side breathing heavy. If it starts to slow down considerably then I would pull him out and place him in the QT. After, observe for white/clear oval specks. Post pics for confirmation.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a darkish container of RODI water in the tank being aerated and getting to temp now. Will start emptying and refilling the 20G, but it'll take time for temp. I do have a sponge filter in my sump, always keep one there. Will probably be more than an hour before 20G is filled, up to temp and ready. So I'll wait for a while to do the FW dip.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish has been through the FW dip and is in the 20G. Temp is currently 76 and slowly rising, hope that is close enough. There were some opaque round things in the bottom of the dip container. I'll try to upload a couple pics.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20180121_102307[1].jpg
20180121_102317[1].jpg

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not 100% sure if those are dead flukes or not. @melypr1985 for a second opinion. Did any of them look like sesame seeds (pic below)?

1459813183075-jpg.336939

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like one or two came off there. Has his breathing evened out some since the dip?

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seemed about the same as before. The fish died while I was gone to the store.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. That's the second one of these I've lost. Wondering if it's the Indonesia thing? Anyway, I now have more meds on hand. I got all the store had that was on Humblefish's thread 'Medications to keep on hand'. Kanaplex, MetroPlex, Focus and Prime.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tphi, I lost 2 butterfly's in a row as well. So are Butterfly's considered delicate & prone to disease ? Any special care advised? Thanks

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be bad. I read some of the symptoms, and the fish was doing none of that swimming into flow of powerheads or flashing or anything remotely similar, so hopefully not.

OP
OP
Tphill

Tphill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope they aren't delicate or prone to disease, I've got a pearlscale in the same tank the spotband was in. They were aquired at the same time, did QT together and hung out together. The pearlscale is fine currently.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, these days the symptoms you listed at the start of the thread have become all too common these days with velvet. It's rampant in the industry these days. Little or no outward symptoms and the fish suddenly dies because the parasites have attacked the fish inside the gills where it's not visible to you doing extreme damage. Sorry for your loss.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 12 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back